Affordable large houses

Where in Sheffield are there large houses with large gardens?

The Waffle

I currently live in Crookes in a nice terrace but we will outgrow this house within 2 years.

I grew up in an alright part of a different northern city in a 2000sq ft 4 bedroom house that we then converted the loft. The house is probably worth £250k, has a massive garden and is walkable to the local shops. There were 2 large parks 5 mins walk away and the primary school was good.

I would love to find something similar in Sheffield but am struggling. A house that size in S10 or S11 is usually double or treble that and there doesn't seem to be many other bits of Sheffield that have large houses. Lots of the 4 bedroom semis are only 1300sq ft.

Looking for an area of Sheffield that has homes with these specs:

Large house 1800sq ft+

Large garden 75 ft+

Near a good primary school

Walkable to shops and a decent park.

Budget up to £300'000.

I think you have to look for older houses.

New ones never have big gardens, I doubt there's enough value in them.

-

Places like Stannington and Loxley often have large gardens.

Ecclesall/Whirlow/Ringinglow probably have better schools, but pushing it a bit with 300k/

edit, maybe keep a close eye on properties in Crosspool?

Where in Sheffield are there large houses with large gardens?

The Waffle

I currently live in Crookes in a nice terrace but we will outgrow this house within 2 years.

I grew up in an alright part of a different northern city in a 2000sq ft 4 bedroom house that we then converted the loft. The house is probably worth £250k, has a massive garden and is walkable to the local shops. There were 2 large parks 5 mins walk away and the primary school was good.

I would love to find something similar in Sheffield but am struggling. A house that size in S10 or S11 is usually double or treble that and there doesn't seem to be many other bits of Sheffield that have large houses. Lots of the 4 bedroom semis are only 1300sq ft.

Looking for an area of Sheffield that has homes with these specs:

Large house 1800sq ft+

Large garden 75 ft+

Near a good primary school

Walkable to shops and a decent park.

Budget up to £300'000.

I fear you are looking for something that no longer exists in this or any other Northern city.

Maybe something knackered at auction? But you want what hundreds of families want.

There's some quite big 4 & 5 bed room houses around Meersbrook Park - Brook Rd etc. which would be in your price range. May be worth a look- though the gardens won't be massive

Wadsley maybe, Worral, Outighbridge perhaps.

There's some quite big 4 & 5 bed room houses around Meersbrook Park - Brook Rd etc. which would be in your price range. May be worth a look- though the gardens won't be massive

You wouldn't get a house on Brook Road for under 300k these days with the market in Meersbrook taking off. One just sold for 395k, another went on for 340k and they don't have big gardens. A wreck went recently for less but it was sold within a family at way below market rate.

Edited by amazon123

You wouldn't get a house on Brook Road for under 300k these days with the market in Meersbrook taking off. One just sold for 395k, another went on for 340k and they don't have big gardens. A wreck went recently for less but it was sold within a family at way below market rate.

Blimey - Meersbrook is taking off. Its many years since I lived in Meersbrook (before it was trendy!). i can recall when they were about £90k - but then again Burcot rd houses were about £45k at that same time - which shows you how long ago it was

:)

Thanks for all the ideas. Probably looking late next year so I can scout out areas a bit before then.

Blimey - Meersbrook is taking off. Its many years since I lived in Meersbrook (before it was trendy!). i can recall when they were about £90k - but then again Burcot rd houses were about £45k at that same time - which shows you how long ago it was

:)

Yeah, the terraced houses on Burcot Road are going for over 200k now. Quids in for the people who bought on Brook Road for 90k! :o

A friend of mine who owns some properties in Sheffield, was living in a fairly remote location in Derbyshire. Being late 60's, widowed and his daughter fleeing the nest, was feeling a bit isolated, "Popping out for a curry was even a mission" he said.

Looking around, he eventually chose a place in Chesterfield. Much more bang for the buck and only a short drive into Sheffield if need be.

I just had a quick Google with your budget and saw THIS as an example.

If you head out of Sheffield in any direction except the peaks you'll get much more for your money.

It's a tradeoff though, how much do you need to be in the city...