Intake Sheffield Any history

SM524,thanks for asking your dad anyway.Does he or anyone out there remember Len Kay's blacksmithy?It was at the side of the Ball Inn,when it stood further back from the road.Paul Dodson's carpenters premises was at the side of the Embassy,where Slumberland is.Len Kay was married to Paul's youngest daughter,Polly.

Hi,

does anybody know when the semi-Detahced houses on Alnwick Road, Intake, were built? I've just bought one and was interested to see what the history was.

I grew up on Basegreen, so know a little, can remember The REX, the old scout hut opposite the old tip, the old working mans club and the old chippy within the row of old houses on Hollinsend Road.

Think all the old stone houses were built for the miners that worked at Birley pit.

The slaughter house at the top of Mansfield Road, where Netto is now...lol, bulls and cows always escaping.

Not sure if Jaunty park was once a tip too. The stream Shirebrook that runs through Jaunty Park, under the tip and out toward stone Lane was the boundry between derbyshire and Sheffield.

The little newsagent's and toilet block at the bus terminus...it's all coming back..lol

Hi,

does anybody know when the semi-Detahced houses on Alnwick Road, Intake, were built? I've just bought one and was interested to see what the history was.

Mid 60's, roughly same time as Seagrave I think? Not sure though.

I feel sure that prior to 1946-7 that the tram went all the way down Mansfield Road to its terminus just below the Hollinsend Road junction below the Rex with a fairly large oblong passenger shelter made out of wood at the terminus. ( That wants checking out )

The Tram did turn round at points opposite the road junction to Handsworth/Woodhouse near to the (Elm Tree?) Inn or hotel.

I'll come back with more details regarding Charles Leonard Granger who lived at the Sewerage Farm. I may be able to put you in direct contact with a close relation of his, who actually lived at the Farm, after I've contacted him. With his permission please let those on the Forum know of anything which may be publically interesting.

Back to the Pit Ponds on both sides of Mansfield Road at the Manor Top. I use to play on a raft on both these ponds during WWII.

(I don't think that I'd learnt to swim at that time!!).

Can anyone remember swimming in them and coming out covered in coal dust? What happened to the ponds eventually or are they still there?

A path cut through the Cornfields where the Basegreen Estate is now built. It started near Grassmeer Road? and ran to Fox lane coming out where the road junction to Beighton branched off, close the the ' Old Arrow '. We useto walk along that way on our way to ' Ford and Ridgeway '.

On the left hand side of Mansfield Road before the Rex Cinema a number of Prefabs were built. I've forgotten how many.

That was the Hollythorpe estate, Albert.

My aunt lived in a prefab on there, in the mid sixties (those must have survived the great-gale of 1962 ) I can't remember how many there were, but I remember the bouncy floor and the strange bathroom they had in the prefab. The prefabs were cleared in the mid sixties, and moved my aunt to Hyde Park.

I remember getting of the bus at the intake terminus to go to my aunts. the square looking building that used to house the loos and the newsagent are still there, but have, sadly, been shuttered up for decades.

the ponds haven't been there for over thirty years, (I lived nearby from the 1970s and they had gone then)

I was born and brough up just off Richmond Road near the top of Normanton Springs..... The very name INTAKE itself refers to the coal industry. In the early to mid 70's we used to cut through Hunters Lane (the one that is blocked of at the junction with Hollybank Road and Normanton Springs) from Richmond Road to Normanton Springs to play on the slag heaps and around the old prefabs which stood where the houses at the top of Hollybank now are.

The houses on Alnwick Rd. were built in the late 30,s, early 40,s. I was born in 1944 on Hollinsend Rd. and have lived in the area all my life. Wouldn,t live anywhere else.

That was the Hollythorpe estate, Albert.

My aunt lived in a prefab on there, in the mid sixties (those must have survived the great-gale of 1962 ) I can't remember how many there were, but I remember the bouncy floor and the strange bathroom they had in the prefab. The prefabs were cleared in the mid sixties, and moved my aunt to Hyde Park.

I remember getting of the bus at the intake terminus to go to my aunts. the square looking building that used to house the loos and the newsagent are still there, but have, sadly, been shuttered up for decades.

the ponds haven't been there for over thirty years, (I lived nearby from the 1970s and they had gone then)

The Loos are still there, shuttered up but the block that the newsagent was in has been flattened. I grew up on Intake in the 80/90's and loved it.

Think i've seen something with the History of Intake school on somewhere will see if i can find it and add a link.

Have just noticed it the same site as the link at the top of this page. Sheffield Indexers.

As a family we would visit my moms sister regularly. Whilst the grown up talked together my bro and I would be off playing in the "sewerage" with our 2 cousins. Boy and girl.Boy cousin whould show us younger ones how to jump of the walls of the sewerage beds (long since not working) and straight threw the surrounding bushes. We would watch frogs in some square kind of building that then was half full of water. On bonfire night the residents use to hold the bonfires in there and as there were logs piled high all along the lane to the Grange a few would make there way on to the bonfire. this must have been about 1942ish

Oh wow, quizmaster we used to do that too when we were younger! I was born and lived in the prefabs mentioned in an earlier post, they were on Mansfield Drive just up from the cemetery. There were also some further down, just off Hollybank Road, my auntie lived in those. I remember opposite where the bowling alley used to be that there was a quarry with a path down the side of it. We used to go down there, as there was a pearl button factory and we used to go looking for the pieces of mother of pearl from which the buttons had been stamped. Just up Hollinsend Road there used to be an orchard and we used to go scrumping apples. There was also a quarry just off what is now Jaunty Lane on the Basegreen Estate - we used to stand at the top of it watching the rats playing in the bottom (whatever would Health & Safety make of that now??)

Ockerbrook comes to mind, it actually ran under the Red Lion at Gleadless placing the original building in Derbyshire and the extension in Sheffield. It ran between Seagrave Avenue (I think) and Lister Avenue placing the former in Sheffield and the latter in Derbyshire. It ran through Jaunty and was what seperated Sheffield from Derbyshire at the bridge in Intake.

No knowledge, however trivial, is ever wasted, is it? ;)

Was brought up on Croft Rd. Does anyone remember the Marples, Hardings, Lomas & Fowler families & the 'Barracks' at the bottom?