Intake Sheffield Any history

I remember some of the people from "The Barracks " My mate married the daughter from the pub across the road. The Yew Tree. This was when the chip shop was Lockets, and Vaughans shop was opposite The Hollin Bush. I lived on Hollinsend Road near Chambers and Len Oates shop.

The houses on Alnwick Rd. were built in the late 30,s, early 40,s. I was born in 1944 on Hollinsend Rd. and have lived in the area all my life. Wouldn,t live anywhere else.

I bought one of the houses on Alnwick Rd when I was first married, it was new at the time and was one of a pair of semis built on a piece of spare land in 1961 by Mortons builders. I was the first one to live in it and I loved it.

It cost £1,850, £4 for each extra plug and I think a garage for £200 which we could not afford as we had already saved £100 for the deposit.

The other houses being older-- it was the nearest house to Lockets chip shop and later 3 terraced houses were built in the gap in between.

My house was no 35.

There was Lockets chipshop, Bell's newsagents, Dimberline's grocers, Taylor's butchers and across from me was Mrs Broomhead who sold potatoes.

There were no houses built during the war so the other houses on Alnwick Rd must have been pre war.

A year or so later 2 houses were built on The Croft at the bottom of my garden.

I remember the shop at the botom of Alnwick Rd we used to buy icecream soda there when we were young the man in the shop used to keep hold of your hand when giving change-- ugh

hazel

Was brought up on Croft Rd. Does anyone remember the Marples, Hardings, Lomas & Fowler families & the 'Barracks' at the bottom?

Was Croft Road, very narrow and ran up to some shops on Alnwick (something or other)? If so my great grandmother and great aunt lived in one of the terraced houses. Great grandmother was born in 1874 (same year as Churchill), she was a Marshall, can't remember great aunt's married name but her first name was Minnie.

Yes Croft Rd was the narrow Rd behind Alnwick Rd

It ran into Hollinsend Rd and opened out in a sort of square at the bottom. Not sure if it wasn't just called The Croft

hazel

Hi Crooksey

The Shire brook ran between Lister Crescent (I was born in number 37 in 1939) and Seagrave Crescent, I spent many happy hours as a young boy exploring the dyke (as we called it then), upstream and downstream much to the annoyance of some inhabitants of Seagrave and Lister Crescent (if they found us there!).

The brook did divide Yorkshire from Derbyshire and living in Lister Cres, I was born in Derbyshire which meant that I had to go to school in Derbyshire although almost all our activities took place in Sheffield.

I spent some enjoyable evenings at the Rex cinema (I must have been one of the snobs as I preferred it to the manor). I think that someone earlier mentioned the gods in the Rex and being a snob I have to point out that the Rex had stalls and a circle which in those days cost threepence more, 1/6 stalls 1/9 circle (I only ever sat in the stalls). The Rex was luxury whereas the Manor wasn't quite the same and it had a billiard hall attached. As I recall the Manor had three levels, upper circle where if you were courting and sat at the back the screen was the size of a 9" TV, but hey, who cared! The middle circle, the most expensive where you took the girls to impress them and the Flea Pit, which as far as I can remember was a black hole way down below. I never went down there and I don't know anyone who did so it may have been a figment of my imagination. The Manor prices were a bit cheaper than the Rex.

I remember the council estate being built at the bottom of Lister Crescent (it always had been a cul-de-sac) and it became huge. I was grateful though as it became a source of income for me as I delivered papers on the estate for Plumbs the newsagents for many years. I also had a Saturday morning job delivering meat for the co-op butchers at Gleadless Townend, I think that the butchers name was Gregory. The paper round and the butchers job each paid me 5 bob a week.

Happy days,

I live on Lister Avenue and when we first moved in nearly 30 years ago, that bloody stream caused us all sorts of problems. When my kids started school we were told that they had to go to Frecheville school as we lived in Derbyshire, but when we went there we were told that because we lived nearest to Seagrave Crescent then we lived in Yorkshire and the kids had to go to Gleadless School. We also found out by chance that we received our water supply from Yorkshire Water but had been paying water rates to Severn Trent for years! Even today we get problems when there has been a lot of rain, as the stream overflows (due to it being blocked up with rubbish where it goes underground) and floods the road.

Once more about the name Intake - if you look in the Oxford Concise Dictionary you'll see that although it does give the definition 'an airway into a mine' it also gives another one of 'land reclaimed from a moor'. Could that be the adjacent Birley Moor? When I worked at Orgreave Pit in the 60's airways were called 'updraught' and 'downdraught' - maybe that's just the term for mines entered by winding gear and not drift mines??

have a look at this:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s11711

it says it Fox Farm at Intake, theres some good un's of The Rex on there aswell :-)

Dont know whether Sheffield Librarary Service who supplied the pic of fox farm know but even if someone owns an original painting, the copyright for selling reproductions may still be owned by the artist, Mr D higgins who lives on Arnold Ave, Gleadless

To albert T Smith Hi I am a ex pat of Frecheville my grandparents lived at intake the intake Terminus in the late forties finished at the bottom about fifty yards from the

Shire Brook the pit mound just before the Noahs Ark was a walk down one,I had tried

to go down it ,I believe it was connected to Handsworth pit,I also investigated the

west Birley Pit close to the Terminus,in the early 50s I used to see a steam train pull into the old pit yard.there are old photos in the Noahs Ark cheers Burash

I lived at birly vale in the late 1930 on the left side bottom of the hill from fretcheville there was a lane led to flttons brickworks

To maurice f .I knocked around that area circa 1948 to 54 did you know that

a tunnel went under the Birley Moor road from the " Land Sale " to the Sheffield

Coal Co office on the left side of the hill coming down..You can probably still see

the Bricked up portal approx 6ft. high by 3 ft. wide

maurice f burash the tunnel you talk about could be at the back of our house we used as a airade shelter in the war we also had a rag bone man acros he had stables

Edited by maurice f