Attacked on Eccy Rd on 14/11 around 5pm - witnesses?

This happened last night as I was walking home along eccy rd, just after 5pm. I was opposite Tescos walking towards Hunters Bar n chattin to my mum on my mobile. I didnt see the guy approach me, the first thing I knew about it was when I was punched. He hit me several times before I managed to move away from him.

My main concern at the time was what my mum was hearing on the other end of the phone, didnt like the thought of her hearing her son getting beaten up! As he was hitting me I managed to hang up on me mum and then I turned my attention to the guy.

He was a big black dude bout 6,3, fairly lean with longish dreads. He was dressed pretty scruffily with light denim jeans and jacket on with a white t-shirt underneath. I'm pretty sure he was off his head on as he was ranting random obscenities and looked pretty mashed. He was sayin 'dont f'in look at me like that' and carried on by sayin 'that goes for all of you' - at this point he was looking around trying make eye contact with other people who were on the other side of the road.

I had a bike lock in my hand and I thought about goin in n givin him a good leatherin with it. But I didnt want to be scrapin in the street, I dont think its sensible, respectable or adult thing to do. Plus I didnt know if he had a knife or a needle on him, you just dont know do you.

He was goading me on and obviously wanted to fight but I just tried to calm him down as I took a few big steps backwards. By doing this he seemed to lose his interest in me so I turned away from him and carried on walking - with a few swift looks over my shoulder!

He wasnt trying to mug me or get my mobile, I think he just wanted to fight. I've seen the guy before on eccy rd. Hes often wandering around gibing off and looking generally out of it but I've not had any problems or reasons to speak to him before.

I phoned the police and made a statement but I havent got a witness, there were people around but no one stopped and I didnt speak to anyone, I just went home.

So...

Was anyone around who saw this happen that can be my witness?

or

Has anyone else had any problems with this guy or know of him? If you can let me know I'd appreciate it as it could help the investigation.

Thanks

Dave

Can't help with being a witness but just want to say im so sorry for you, as you said you had to be the calm reasonable one even tho it was you who was being attacked and couldnt really defend yourself due to not knowing if he was carrying anything. Its a sad sorry state of affairs that the innocent have to deal with this kind of attitude. Im sure he would also have claimed some kind of racial abuse if you had tried to defend yourself.

Hope someone can be of help to you :)

Wont offer to be a witness as I wasnt there, but if you want help putting in a criminal injuries claim give me a shout...

So he punched you several times.. and you thought "It's not sensible to fight in the street, so I'll just get my head kicked in" :loopy:

I think I've seen him before, walking past CRB onto Eccy Rd as I was getting into my car. He didn't look at me though.. I guess I'll be more cautious if I see him again.. Although I'll probably choose to run my wheel over his head instead of walking/driving away :)

Dave, that's sad news indeed. What I would recommend is going back to the place it happened and looking around for CCTV. There might not be any 'official' cameras, but a lot of shops and banks have them. Think about the route the guy walked and then look around for any cameras that might have picked him before or after. Every little helps.

Good luck. If you do find out who it was, then remember not to post any further details on here as it could work against you (and the forum!).

I would say theres a great chance some camara has picked this dude up along his route but you can bet the hell the police won't be bothered in looking as it was just another assault one of many that they see everyday.

Regarding having a go back, you probably had sense not to retaliate and I bet he had a weapon on him.

Unless you know your not going to spark this guy out then its not worth the risk.

It sounds to me like a racial attack and this guy has certainly struck before and will do again.

Don't expect to much from the police, the best thing to do is like Geoff said go and find the evidence yourself and give it to the police.

Chances are they already know him.

Good luck mate.

I've seen the guy before but never had any probs.

You seem to be a wimp to me I would have smaked him but not with a bike lock on my hand and by the way why do you have a bike lock on your hand?

And have u never been in a fight before your just wasting police time if you did'nt get anything taken. I think you did look at him and your not telling the full story.

Originally posted by Deadstar

You seem to be a wimp to me I would have smaked him but not with a bike lock on my hand and by the way why do you have a bike lock on your hand?

And have u never been in a fight before your just wasting police time if you did'nt get anything taken. I think you did look at him and your not telling the full story.

He was set upon randomly without any provocation. To call him a wimp is childish, and fighting back may have made the consequences much worse. Also, since when did "looking at" someone become punishable by a good beating? ABH/GBH, particularly with no provocation, are very much matters for the police.

Who gives a toss if he looked at him or not.

Thats not the issue here, are you saying if someone looked at you then you would attack them.:loopy:

did yoy get in touch with victim support??? they will sort you out with panic alarm too

You sound like a nutter to me. Since when should looking at someone be an excuse for them to lay into you...is that how you react to being looked at ? Are we all supposed to walk around staring at the pavement in case some nutter objects to being looked at ?

As you seem to know this bloke be sure to give him a good look next time you see him, then discover how much of a wimp you are :rolleyes:

:D i'm gonna walk around with my eyes closed for the rest of the day in fear of being set upon by mindless chavs.

good on you for not retaliating to this unfortunate incident and hope your bruises heal quick.

theres some scary things happening in the world today!!