Cheap reliable garages

whever you do DON'T go to the garage behind tesco on eccie road, took mine there nad they had a good look at it and said i needed a full new steering column that would cost £250 + labour, went to a bloke i knew in rotherham, he just said a few seals were cracked and said it would take a couple of hours and could cost £50 - so they tried a total rip off.

he is good in hillsborough next to Netto and bike shop, think hes called mark who sorts cars, hes been ace with me and mates

drive up city road till you come to keith n gloria's off licence (on left) take a left on to skyedge avenue just after the junction with skyedge road there's 2 houses,at the side of them is a big garage,just ask for Lloyed,ive used him for years,very good and reliable and above all you can trust him,if he says summat needs doin you know its true,knowing bugger all about cars myself i could easily be ripped off my the cowboys,this bloke is spot on.

we've always found ghia garage on penistone rd (near leppings lane roundabout) to be very reasonable.we always have our mot's done there too.

I totally agree whisper, Ghia Garage is where my motor gets its service and my mate mick works there so bonus! Ask for young mick always helpful.

Snuffmill (Behind Tesco Eccy Road)

Don't know the 1st thing about cars, but their bodyshop is fantastic.

Anywhere but Kwik Fit.

My last two, and final ever, vists...

1. Had a hole in the front pipe of my exhaust. Kwik Fit told me the back box was dead and needed replacing despite being 6 months old. Took it to Ascar where it was made and fitted and they spotted and showed me the actual hole at the front within 5 minutes. Ascar are absolute stars with exhausts. Kwik Fit are not.

2. Took car after strange engine light came on and car started misfiring. Kwik Fit said "Definitely cylinder head gasket, about £500". Took it to mechanic friend of my dads, "needs new plugs and oil, £25". Took his advice and it runs fine, and has done for past 6 months since then!!!

Im saying no more!!

Originally posted by kirky

drive up city road till you come to keith n gloria's off licence (on left) take a left on to skyedge avenue just after the junction with skyedge road there's 2 houses,at the side of them is a big garage,just ask for Lloyed,ive used him for years,very good and reliable and above all you can trust him,if he says summat needs doin you know its true,knowing bugger all about cars myself i could easily be ripped off my the cowboys,this bloke is spot on.

I've tried contacting Kirky direct on this but I'm guessing he's snowed under... so is there anyone local or who's actually used Lloyd's services who has a phone number or could get it...

I'm pretty desperate to get my car sorted out ASAP as I have a mission of mercy to run up to Newcastle.

Thanks...

Originally posted by Mooseyb

Anywhere but Kwik Fit.

My last two, and final ever, vists...

1. Had a hole in the front pipe of my exhaust. Kwik Fit told me the back box was dead and needed replacing despite being 6 months old. Took it to Ascar where it was made and fitted and they spotted and showed me the actual hole at the front within 5 minutes. Ascar are absolute stars with exhausts. Kwik Fit are not.

2. Took car after strange engine light came on and car started misfiring. Kwik Fit said "Definitely cylinder head gasket, about £500". Took it to mechanic friend of my dads, "needs new plugs and oil, £25". Took his advice and it runs fine, and has done for past 6 months since then!!!

Im saying no more!!

Can't be definite but I heard that Kwik Kit and similar places pay a bonus if the staff can talk you into extra, or more expensive, work. You might ask for a tyre and they'll discover you need 2 shock absorbers. A hole in the back box? You'll be convinced to change the whole system etc. Of course, sometimes they'll be correct.

Any kwik fit fitters on here who could confirm or deny?