Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

Interesting thread this! if we look further back in history, & considering the names of other streets & roads in the area, and the fact that the Scots, many of whom came down to find work here, refer to turnips as Neeps could the area around this part of Sheff have been an agricultural area a long time ago in the past. Any thoughts?

Interesting thread this! if we look further back in history, & considering the names of other streets & roads in the area, and the fact that the Scots, many of whom came down to find work here, refer to turnips as Neeps could the area around this part of Sheff have been an agricultural area a long time ago in the past. Any thoughts?

From Wiki

"The origin of the word Neepsend is believed to come from the Old Norse language, with the word "nypr" meaning a peak, the "end" part was added as Neepsend lies in the Don valley at the termination of a high ridge which descends from Shirecliffe and over Parkwood. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names gives the word "Nipa" as of Swedish and Norwegian origin and means a crag or steep river bank. In a 1297 subsidy roll the suburb was referred to as Nipisend and in 1637 as Nypysend."

Interesting to read this thread, I spent the first 7 years of my life living and growing up on Hicks St before it was all demolished around 66 or 67.

Can remember an old police house/station corner of Hicks st & Burton St also remember a corner shop on corner of hicks st and percy st (i think) and a great chippie on Bury st used to hang about there til the owners gave us a free bag of scraps......some great memories of living around there.

Sorry Bingley st not Bury st ?

Edited by Alsancak

I know every inch of Club Mill Lane as does my siblings,we had to walk up and down it from where the Sheffield College is situated now to Hillfoot County School twice a day for 10 years in my case!.Our cottage was the only house on Liversey Street,it fell about the same distance from Hillfoot as Parkside Lane by the Wednesday ground so I don,t know who decided we had to be schooled at Hillfoot!.Nowadays you would never let kids go up and down there alone as at times it was quite lonely especially in wintertime as it started to go dark early,one of my favourite pastimes was to hide from my younger sisters and brother and make spooky ghostly noises scaring them to death!.It always earned me a clip from my grumpy father when they shopped me to him,as I got older I was stopped regularly by the police riding home on my bike on the lane I suppose because of all the firms and business premises down there!.I remember one teatime I spotted what I thought was a ball at the roadside,I took a runup kicked it nearly breaking my foot,it was a large steel ball bearing,limping home I told my tale and received sympathy by the whole family laughing their heads off,no wonder I was a naughty little so and so,happy days some of the time!.

Edited by old tup

A similar thing happened to me, probably in the same area. Me and a mate were cycling down Club Mill Rd., by the cooling towers, when I spotted this ball of metal, about the size of a cricket ball, outside a works' open doors. That looks interesting I thought and bent down to pick it up. Unfortunately, it had recently come out of the foundry, and was what was called, 'black hot.' Smoke and a smell of burning flesh immediately followed, and within seconds all the surfaces of my hand had blistered. Not knowing quite what to do, we cycled home and I was quickly transported to the Infirmary. My hand was bandaged for two or three weeks. These days there would be a lawsuit for compensation for leaving a dangerous article in a place where it could do harm, then it was a case of just getting on with it.

I know every inch of Neepsend Lane as does my siblings,we had to walk up and down it from where the Sheffield College is situated now to Hillfoot County School twice a day for 10 years in my case!.Our cottage was the only house on Liversey Street,it fell about the same distance from Hillfoot as Parkside Lane by the Wednesday ground so I don,t know who decided we had to be schooled at Hillfoot!.Nowadays you would never let kids go up and down there alone as at times it was quite lonely especially in wintertime as it started to go dark early,one of my favourite pastimes was to hide from my younger sisters and brother and make spooky ghostly noises scaring them to death!.It always earned me a clip from my grumpy father when they shopped me to him,as I got older I was stopped regularly by the police riding home on my bike on the lane I suppose because of all the firms and business premises down there!.I remember one teatime I spotted what I thought was a ball at the roadside,I took a runup kicked it nearly breaking my foot,it was a large steel ball bearing,limping home I told my tale and received sympathy by the whole family laughing their heads off,no wonder I was a naughty little so and so,happy days some of the time!.

A similar thing happened to me, probably in the same area. Me and a mate were cycling down Club Mill Rd., by the cooling towers, when I spotted this ball of metal, about the size of a cricket ball, outside a works' open doors. That looks interesting I thought and bent down to pick it up. Unfortunately, it had recently come out of the foundry, and was what was called, 'black hot.' Smoke and a smell of burning flesh immediately followed, and within seconds all the surfaces of my hand had blistered. Not knowing quite what to do, we cycled home and I was quickly transported to the Infirmary. My hand was bandaged for two or three weeks. These days there would be a lawsuit for compensation for leaving a dangerous article in a place where it could do harm, then it was a case of just getting on with it.

Hattersley & Ridge seem to have been careless with their balls.