Ulley Dam discussion and latest news

It's reliable information that is coming from the scene, not the news and I wouldn't have posted it if I wasn't certain.

Think I'll pop out and get a box of candles and some matches on my lunch just to be on the safe side. Seeing as tomorrow and the weekend look set for more rain, it can't hurt to prepare for power loss.

so the line from the emergency services is that it WILL break?

No that's not been said. I do have a direct report that the dam is 'moving and looks like it might burst' but that isn't the same as it breaking. This thread is meant as public information, not rumour and tittle-tattle.

Reports are that there are now 3-4 breaches in the dam.

Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

Oh god nooo..

Oh I hope it doesn't go..

We got our power back about an hour ago after being off from 4.10pm yesterday afternoon..

I'm glad I'm not that close to the dam, but my nephews girlfriend lives at Treeton..:(

Also, it's worth noting that if it does break it might be fair to assume that the electricity sub-station will be turned off which mill mean that much Sheffield will lose electricity.

This is an assumption, but I wouldn't be surprised if the electricity goes off for some time.

Also, it's worth noting that if it does break it might be fair to assume that the electricity sub-station will be turned off which mill mean that much Sheffield will lose electricity.

This is an assumption, but I wouldn't be surprised if the electricity goes off for some time.

the reports i have received is that upto as much as 80% of sheffield will lose power. our office is in contact with all the hospitals and smaller nhs sites and we are making plans to get more fuel to the generators.

the news said that it supplied rotherham not sheffield?????

Thanks for keeping us updated Tony. I'd rather have any warnings an hour too early than a minute too late.

All those at immediate risk will have been evacuated. The biggest problem for the majority of people is probably from loss of power. Simple steps can be taken to cover such an eventuality. After all, we can get power cuts at anytime anyway so it always helps to be prepared.