The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

I can't understand why some people are so against sending their kids to the new school. Obviously new buildings and shiny new PC's don't make a good school but surely a school that has the best of everything will attract a large number of teachers wanting to work in such a school thus the best ones can be selected?

Dare I say a lot of this debate is nothing but pure snobbery and pig headedness :roll:

Has nothing to do with snobbery, we disagree with our community school being closed (which is full by the way) to help out a school whos pupil numbers are falling considerably. We disagree that our children should be made to walk all the way to the new school when there are buses put on for the Bradfield school lot. We disagree with the consultation process and a lot of the information in the consultation document.

Most probably you havent been involved in any of this, and have just put your post to wind people up.:rant:

It might be one of the newest with shiney new gizmos and wotsits but that doesnt constitute a school being the best in my books:(

I agree with this.

A school has been and should always be the centre of a community. Something that drives the community. That is why this whole episode is so disconcerting and that is what a lot of politicians and council officers have forgotten during this process. Yes, investment is good. Yes a school improving its attendance and educational performance is also very important.

BUT. All this process has done is alienate and pitch two different communities against each other. What I do not understand is why a good improving school at the heart of a fantastic community has been shut down. It goes against everything that this government is trying to achieve in education. Good schools with smaller class sizes and thriving communities.

I'm with the Chavs on this. There is something very dodgy going on. Infact when you add all the factors together there are a lot of very dodgy things going on.

I know that you (quite rightly) have to be careful of making allegations about corruption on this forum. I do not want to get this excellent thread shut down so I am just going to list factual and chronological events and let readers make their own minds up.

1. Plans are made for a new Loxley village.

2. Consultation begins on merging two schools in area.

3. Parents from Wisewood up in arms, the consultation/review is rife with problems including the resignation of a Bradfield Governor.

4. Local election result- Labour lose Hillsborough ward because of the issue and Labour also lose overall control of the city council.

5. Labour remain largest party but need support of either Greens, sole conservative or Independent councillor to pass any form of legislation. The scrutiny board process therefore becomes incredibly powerful. A number of them are chaired by Lib Dems, although unusually given that the Conservative Party only has one councillor, the Labour Party support the appointment of said councillor to a scrutiny board chair

6. One of the first important issues to be decided by the council is the WW/MG merger. Lib dems, Greens and Independent block merger.

7. A lot of media interest in issue. Council Officers take the step of informing the media that the blocking of the WW merger will cost the city £250million. Although it is later revealed that this was factually incorrect and would only delay.

7. Independent joins Conservative in new Sheffield Group. Changes his mind on the issue and when it is referred back to the council votes to support the merger.

8. The merger is now back on.

I haven't put my post up to wind people up at all. I am stating my perception of this debate as I have seen it. I understand you are not happy with the way the consulatation was carried out and that is perfectly understandable but is a different matter. What I am saying is why on earth would people not want their children to have access to the best technology, possibly teachers and resources?

How far will your children have to walk? Myers is not very far from Hillsborough and indeed I see many children walking there now. There are also buses.

I have seen comments on this debate asking about the amount of Stannington children who claim free school meals which to me is just pure snobbery and is a dig at the people on low incomes, as though Wisewood doesn't have it's fair share of low income families.

Would you feel any different if the new school were to be built on the Wisewood site? I'm just curious not trying to wind people up.

Hi - I totally diasgree-its got nothing to do with with snobbery or pig headedness. Travel is a huge issue. I would not be happy with my 11 year old stepdaughter (who falls under the new school) walking to Malin Bridge, dicing with death to cross the road there & back up the Hill to Myers. Especially in the dark during the winter.

Also, more importantly everyone at Wisewood wants the school to stay open. It is a hugely improving school which is fully subscribed. It is a huge part of the community & is being sacrificed against everyone's wishes.

I noticed a point someone else made aswell. What about the local shops. they must rely in the shcol for a huge part of their business & if it goes - how many will follow. This will have a huge impact on our local community.

I can't understand why some people are so against sending their kids to the new school. Obviously new buildings and shiny new PC's don't make a good school but surely a school that has the best of everything will attract a large number of teachers wanting to work in such a school thus the best ones can be selected?

Dare I say a lot of this debate is nothing but pure snobbery and pig headedness :roll:

Nothing to do with pig headedness or snobbery I think the new school will probably be as good as Bradfield if not better.

If the decision had been made to build the new school on the ww site it would be the same argument different sides.

The issues we have to think of now is for how long and how far should we expect kids to walk to school.

Don't know about people on this site but I would like to know how far you all walk to work if at all. Most I would guess 90% of people posting on both sides of the fence for this either:

Use their own transport

Use public transport

Cycle

only a limited number walk and these are respnsible adults that are big enough to look after themselves. I have lived within walking distance to work before and yes it is good in summer but in the winter I get in the car.

Oh what joy traffic jam joy at Malin Bridge and maybe when someones car disapears down a huge hole in the road on the side streets of Hillsbrough something will be done - but what can they do from where is sit I can't see a solution to the traffic problems at Malin Bridge.

If people have genuine concerns about their children walking to the new school has there been as much effort put into requesting school crossing patrols or organising 'walking buses' ? If not maybe this could be something to focus on?

I don't think the shops should even enter into the debate. A fair few of the shops at Stannington do not get trade from school children and have managed to stay open. I also don't see why the education of our children should have anything to do with the local buttie shop.

If people have genuine concerns about their children walking to the new school has there been as much effort put into requesting school crossing patrols or organising 'walking buses' ? If not maybe this could be something to focus on?

I don't think the shops should even enter into the debate. A fair few of the shops at Stannington do not get trade from school children and have managed to stay open. I also don't see why the education of our children should have anything to do with the local buttie shop.

There will be no help for our children on the route to the new school. We are arguing the fact that Myers could have a rebuild and Wisewood could have a refurbishment. The money is available for this - pity the labour council wont admit to this!!! The Wisewood community is being sacrificed to the benefit of another community which is bang out of order!!

That was hardly the point. I live at Loxley & those shops serve a large local community. That area seems to be the focal point for Loxley, Wadsley & Wisewood. The point is the loss of the school will have a huge impact on the wider community.

Yes the new school will probably be very good but at the moment it is an unknown factor. What happens while its winding down?. A friend whose son is in his exam year at Wisewood says several techers have left due to the uncertainty. My stepson is just starting Y7 after the hols. Who will be left to teach him when her reaches his exam years? The merger proposal (or should I say foregone conclusion) was only announced after he his year had sent of their preference of secondary school.

It does seem that you have some on to play devils advocate. If you had read some of the earlier posts you would see the strength of feeling of this. The whole point is no one at Wisewood/ Wadsley / Loxley wants the school to close. I think most of the Myers parents just want a much need modern building rather than the merger.

Maybe this has been covered loads already & I am missing the obvious but what I don't understand is this:

How can the schools in question have falling pupil numbers if all the local primary schools are full every year? Mine is Loxley & the reception class is always oversubscribed. Although not all the places are filled from catchment this stilll means that the numbers are there. I think others in the area are the same.

Also Bradfield is oversubscribed, I thought that Wisewood was hard to get into. I don't know much about Myers but the kids in reception/Y1 now will go to the new school so how can they say the numbers are falling.

Can someone let me know - I have wondered this for a while but thought it seemed like a bit of a daft question.

Really really sorry. You all fought a fantastic campaign. I know its no consolation but the trouble and noise that you have made will probably change who governs this city for a good few years. The Labour Party will lose power next year. The only problem for me is that it will be to the Lib Dems who for me are even worse. But although I think they are the most disgusting form of politically opportunistic locusts at least they stook to their election pledge and supported you.

yeh i agree , well said:hihi: