The Islam & Muslims discussion megathread

Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?

• Yes, please state why
    • No, people who say this are just thick & ignorant

I think its the most ridiculous thing ever. Alot of the time nobody looks like their sodding passport photos anyway. I cant hardly see somebody getting offended.

Slightly diffeent sceario, but related in a way..... It really annoys me that I am not allowed to take photographs of my own son at Ponds Forge swimming pool. At the end of the day if a paedophile gets off on seeing children in swimwear then they dont have to go to a pool to get the pictures, they can get them in any holiday brochure, clothes catalogue etc....

If someone was to show me the picture of that (bare-shouldered) baby and ask me why the passport office declined to allow it, well based on the fact that I am in the middle of completing forms for the renewal of my daughter's passport, I would say the picture was too close - although this is really another ridiculous reason. There is a leaflet enclosed with my form showing examples of what photographs are acceptable and which are not - you would'nt beleive what was not acceptable! - too close, too far, inappropriate glasses, not in the centre, showing teeth, smiling, hair.

If you read the story it actually says..

"They were returned marked “not acceptable for passport purposes as the child appears to be unclothed”.

It says nothing about Islam or Muslims. That comes later...

"The angry mum said: “One man told me: ‘If you were to travel to an Islamic country they might find it offensive.’ I told him we were going to Greece and it was a baby.” "

What man? Some bloke in the pub? The postie? A passport office worker? .. A journalist?

It hardly constitutes national immigration control policy does it?

Originally posted by poppins

Me neither, it's starting to creep up on the Brits, wake up before it's too late, or maybe it is !

your right Poppins, it's too late.

The jobsworths have infiltrated the home office and will exercise OTT PC policies whenever a supervisor isn't looking.

Oh woh are we, the British Empire is doomed.

From Article in T’Telegraph:

“but passport officials told her a topless picture would offend people in "fanatical religious countries".”

“she was told by an official that the picture would be seen as offensive in some parts of the world.”

“A Home Office spokesman said an error was made by the official dealing with the application. "There is no official passport policy relating to displaying bare chests on passport photographs as UK Passport Service require a photograph to show head and shoulders only."”

"She said the UK Passport Service would issue revised guidelines to examining staff to ensure they were aware of the correct information to pass on to customers."

So the whole story is a load of cobblers then?

A single low paid loon in a government department makes a **** up, and all of a sudden the BNP have new, albeit false ammunition about Muslims and lefties.

:shakes:

Originally posted by Tony

So the whole story is a load of cobblers then?

A single low paid loon in a government department makes a **** up, and all of a sudden the BNP have new, albeit false ammunition about Muslims and lefties.

:shakes:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to Tony to be the first person to bring the BNP into this thread.:thumbsup:

Does this get the 'baiting & hectoring' prize for today?

Err, no it's not baiting or hectoring. It's a valid observation about the original post, its origins and its consequences. It's not about the BNP.

Please feel free to substitute BNP with Dailly Mail reader.

But the story was from the Daily Mirror. :huh:

Originally posted by Tony

Err, no it's not baiting or hectoring. It's a valid observation about the original post, its origins and its consequences. It's not about the BNP.

Please feel free to substitute BNP with Dailly Mail reader.

My father-in-law reads the daily mail, does that make him Uk's oldest NAZI KNUCKLE DRAGGING THUG? :o

Originally posted by scoop

Slightly diffeent sceario, but related in a way..... It really annoys me that I am not allowed to take photographs of my own son at Ponds Forge swimming pool. At the end of the day if a paedophile gets off on seeing children in swimwear then they dont have to go to a pool to get the pictures, they can get them in any holiday brochure, clothes catalogue etc....

I think the thing here scoop is that you taking photos of your child at the baths is not a problem but you could be taking photos of other peoples children without their permission.

I must admit I get the creeps when I sit on the seats in the little area at Ponds Forge which is meant to be a sort of viewing gallery and look around me. There are some very shady looking folks lurking about there. Why do they want to come in from the outside and sit watching total strangers ina leisure pool?