Memories of Fox Hill

hi, I lived at 40 Fox Hill Ave, the third block down, I remember the farm and going there for a bottle of milk when the shops were shut. Did you live in the maisonettes? I left fox hill in 1971, i went to fox hill junior school on keats rd, Mr parkin was the head teacher, how strict was he!, did you go to this school? Would love to hear any stories you have.

My best friend when growing up lived at 40 foxhill ave! im not sure when she moved there but I knew her from 1978 and her family lived there until the early 90s. I lived on Keats rd, then browning close then powley rd ( my mum still lives there). I went to Foxhill and yewlands schools. I remember lots of things mentioned in these posts... grass sledging on back edge, fletchers van, alfs van, the pikelet man on his bike. I remember long hot summer holidays spent taking picnics (jam sandwiches and a bottle of barrs pop) to the fields between foxhill and grenoside only going home when we were hungry.I now never let my kids leave home without knowing exactly when they r coming home and safe in the knowledge they can keep in touch by text- how times have changed !!! I do think we were lucky being able to have such a carefree childhood when our main worry was finding a good hiding spot to play 'kick can' :)

still see steve n dave womack regular at blades matches not seen alan cusworth or pete cooper for years but did bump into maureen cusworth couple weeks ago had little chat shes o k like to here from anyone else out there all the best JOHN GRAY

anyone from old fox hill like powley wolfe browning cowper keats carril wilcox bullen or anyone from the old wolfgang dont be shy get in touch ps still miss you robert owen and alan thrush but will never forget you both love john gray

to richie elliot from john gray we used to go to frannys chippie
did u work at carrs?????cyril waller was ya mate there?

I am Dr Nicholls (or Dr Oates') Grandaughter. We (twins) spent most of our childhood at a weekend with my Nan either at her Surgery on Halifax / Browning road or over at Fox Hill Drive when she moved there. I remember always going out on visits with her in the car (my Uncle / her youngest son had persuaded her to buy a gold Ford Capri :hihi:) many times during the weekend and patients calling at the house night and day, She never refused to see anyone at the door or refuse a visit. You don't get that with GP's today.

She died after a short battle with Leukaemia in the Hallamshire in August 2005. This was very sad as it was only a month before she would have made it to 90. There is a memorial bench to her in the grounds of Whitely Hall Hotel which we used to visit frequently.

I thought she deserved an MBE for her dedication to Medicine and her passion for helping others even after she retired but it wasn't to be.

Nice to read people remember her. I am very proud of her.

old ivy....remember her well.....i used to spit medicine out,old ivy persuaded me i was now a big lad,and i could have a bottle of special sweets,BUT i had to show i could swallow them,or i couldnt have them......little did i realise i was taking my medicine in tablet form....

did you know the Holmes who lived on there, I went to school with Elaine, she had a sister Linda and a brother John

elaine will be 48 now

John Holmes was a friend of my brothers, about 15 years older than me:) He had a brother similar age to me David I think.

Cant recall them I remember the Wraggs they live across road from us in 1st house also remember the Gibsons they lived 3 doors away

Did you live on the end house, next to the steps? Sorry can't remember your name if it is lol. I lived in the other end house.

anyone from old fox hill like powley wolfe browning cowper keats carril wilcox bullen or anyone from the old wolfgang dont be shy get in touch ps still miss you robert owen and alan thrush but will never forget you both love john gray

used to live on carrill road surprised you didnt mention my bro, alan :roll:

Hi john

Last time I saw you were at Ian Crockers [CROCK] funeral.Hope your all right mate.we had some great times dint wey. From foxhill school to days in basset.

smithy thrushy crock R.I.P

I lived on the same block as the womacks,we lived on the bottom floor in the middle oh my all the memories i had a friend too called gillian used to live 2 blocks up.

I lived on the same block as the womacks,we lived on the bottom floor in the middle oh my all the memories i had a friend too called gillian used to live 2 blocks up.

I too lived on the bottom block next door to the womacks, we moved out in 1971, what years were you there ?

I am new to the forum and read all the peoples memories with interest, like

burnttoast I remember the cricket field and tennis courts. What is now a piece of open ground in front of the park was a cornfield belonging to the local farmer

Frank Marsden, another cornfield was at the back of the cricket field where the five blocks of flats are on Fox Hill Crescent, this went to the top of Back Edge. As young boys me and my mates used to walk through these fields and watch the skylarks fly into the air if we got too close to their nests.

The narrow track above Edge Well where the four cottages are used to lead to his farm, in the 50's the first cottage was a grocery come sweet shop we would go there for sherbut dips, lemon drops winter mixture on our way to Back Edge. Mr Marsden had two shire horses called Jill and Bonnie they were Mother and Daughter, each day one of the horses would be used to pull his cart to deliver milk to homes on Fox Hill and Parson Cross. Before he started selling milk in pint bottles he had four large milk churns on the cart and would ladle a pint of milk from these into whatever vessel was taken to him.

I enjoyed writing that, I have never done this before.