Accountant for tax return

I've just become self employed and think I am going to want to get an accountant to do my annual tax returns.

Can anyone recommend a good one? How much do they tend to cost?

Depends on how organised you keep your bits of paper, so how long it takes to trawl through your clutter afterwards ;)

mine cost me £60 to do last years, but having only worked part time for one client and billed in chunks the following year, she hasn't charged me - she's a friend - I owe her a pub lunch :)

Edit: I was contracting in a client's office, so no overheads - only hotel bills and petrol to cost in

Hi,

It also depends upon what you're doing, how much work you're generating, how complicated your accounts are (paying into pensions etc).

If they aren't too complicated, you can do them yourself, which lets you see your business from another angle, helps you keep control, and avoids the cost of an accountant.

Regards,

Ade

if they're not complex, you can do them online

I need someone to do a very simple self assessment tax return. Can somebody please recommend a bookkeeper or accountant? I have telephoned a few accountants but they have a minimum charge which is higher than the work involved warrants.

Just go down to the tax office on young street and they will help you.

you need to be quick though as I believe they are shutting the place soon which means you will have to do self assessment online, and the online system is a nightmare

An accountant will be able to advise you of things you can and can't claim and may spot mistakes made by HMRC, our has. We do our own daily accounts but as we are a limited company our accountant does our year end report. We also used them for advice and any communications with HMRC.

The basic package starts at £600 so a sole trader would get an accountant much cheaper than this as they don't have a year end report to do. We do keep our records in monthly filed order and use a software package that is kept up to date. It would probably cost a lot more to sort through poorly kept and recorded accounts.

Thank you for the advice. Did it myself last year but as has been said, never sure if I missed something. Found someone (shortly after posting) who will do it for an acceptable sum so hope to go in to the office this week.

Hi

Try RG Accountancy, Bob the Director works from home so fees are competitive Tax returns from £50.00 , Accounts from £150.00 and all general advice is free of charge.

Friendly efficient service

Telephone 07807 746041 ask for Bob Gardiner

Xxxxxxxxxxx