Newton Chambers Horn

See here we go again with the memories nudge, just reading these posts is bringing back memories. My Dad used to work at Newton Chambers. I remember going with him sometimes on Saturday mornings , he would arm me with a pencil and some tracing paper( he was a draughtsman) and I would be happy to stay there with him while he worked. I also recall him bringing home Izal I think it was called a cleaning substance am I correct can anyone help me here ?

It was IZAL. Newton Chambers made it at their now demolished Izal Factory on Station Road at Chapeltown. There was also Izal toilet paper, and strangely enough Izal throat lozenges. There was also San Izal - in the same league I think as Dettol.

My dad Eric was an inspector at N.C.K. until he retired in 1980.

Timbuck, my Dad too worked at Newton Chambers, he too was a mechanical Engineer although not while he was at NC . He was a draughtsman How long did you work there and when ?
I worked there in the machine shop and training school from 1954 to 1960 ..My Brother in law "Roy Mansfield" was also a Draughtsman and he worked there for many Years.

It was IZAL. Newton Chambers made it at their now demolished Izal Factory on Station Road at Chapeltown. There was also Izal toilet paper, and strangely enough Izal throat lozenges. There was also San Izal - in the same league I think as Dettol.

Izal also made disinfectant which was used in the Boer war to treat Dysentry.

My Dad worked at Newton Chambers for years - Frank Hibbert worked in the foundry - anyone remember him.

Iam a Sri-Lankan underwent training in the Foundry division in 1960-64.

I was attached to Foundry training centre for nearly 4 months under Mr.Pinder

superb gentleman who knew his subject very well indeed.I was then transfered to Metallurgical dept and Foundry for further training.Mr.Mc Person

was the Foundry Manager at that time and Mr.Arnold Arthur was the time study person in the Foundry who used to live in high green.Mr.Fred Skit and Jorge Stuart were Metallurgists and the cheaf Metallurgest was Mr.Colten.Mr.White House was the General Works Manager.There was another good friend of mine one Mr,David Haywood and beleive me Iam still trying to locate him without sucess. He was a National Foundry College person.All these people helped me tremendoesly during my training and thanks to them that Iam still in a good position even after retairing from my own company started as far back as 1974.I had a superb training at Newton Chambers and Iam sad to see that it is no longer there.Can anybody remember me?If you can remember me please write a message so that I could reply.By the way I have few copies of weekly News papers of Newton Chambers.

I was secretary to the Chief Metallurgist Mr Colton about 1970- other members of staff were Stuart Ramage and Richard Littlejohns.

I was secretary to the Chief Metallurgist Mr Colton about 1970- other members of staff were Stuart Ramage and Richard Littlejohns.

Jean was the secretary to Mr.Colton during my training.Do you know her?

By the way Stuart Ramage is the owner of a big foundry.I had contacts with him up to year 2000.

I used to to use the 7:30 siren as my alarm clock for school back in the 70's , I lived in High Green and the school bus to Ecclesfield left at 8:10

No I don't remember Jean - I do remember Bill Scorrah who worked nearby and the lady in his office was called Janet. I didn't know that Stuart Ramage had gone on to own a foudry - where was that??

As I said Stuart Ramage was at BAS castigs Ltd Nottinghamshire.I do not know whether he is still a Director of that company.Anyway he had been a nice guy I would say.I have a certificate given to me by Mr.White House.His office was also in the same block.How about Fred Skitt who used to live in Hoyland common near Barnsley.I remember so many guys at Newton Chambers.God only knows where there are.

Arnold Manch

Reply to smary

Jean would have been the secretary before you.Mr.Colton was there when I was leaving the Foundry to take up an appointment with a British Firm in Sri-Lanka.Who was the Foundry Manager at the time you were there?