The beauty treatments megathread - do NOT advertise in here

very interesting article in the Daily Mail that i thought was worth reading for anyone who has nails done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2141298/How-following-celeb-trend-falsies-seriously-damage-natural-nails.html

I have been to several salons in the eight years I've had acrylics and they all use MMA. I don't know anyone that doesn't use MMA do you? I recently posted saying I have developed an allergy to it. I have been growing mine out with fortnightly manicure and my natural nails are as they were before. Its seven weeks since I last had acrylics and I'm soaking the last bit off next week. My own nails are too thin and brittle to grow to any length, hence having flase nails in the first place.

i certainly don't use MMA!! Not shouting at you btw! and there are a number of places that don't, normally tell tale signs are when the products are in un labelled jars and theres no advert or mention or the brand of products used.

The correct liquid that should be used for acrylic nails is EMA (which i think you may have got mixed up on as its just a letter different but it does make a huge difference) salons will not admit to using MMA as they know they shouldnt so unless you have been told its MMA i think there may be a bit of confusion hun, it is possible to develop allergies to EMA, just like anything you have bad over exposure to, but MMA and EMA are 2 completely different things MMA is ridiculously cheap to buy which is why a number of salons will buy it as all there interested in is making money and arent worried about the health and wellbeing of their clients, but obviously clients arent aware of this happening.

MMA is usually used for bone grafts and in some instances an added agent in concrete mix it doesnt bond well to tissue (nail is tissue) electric files are used and heavily abuse and damage the natural nail plate to create a rough un even surface causing thinness to the natural nail that allows the MMA to adhere to the nail.

Electric files are usually only meant to be used on actual acrylic nail not the natural nail. U won't find many professional technicians using them on natural nails.

Sorry to hear you have developed this allergy but its only in some cases down to the products themselves, but normally its down to miss use of it, people have to be very careful with where they go for their nails theres not enough awareness about this, end of the day these are chemicals that are being used.

But yet people are willing to let unexperienced and uneducated people put these chemicals on them all in order to get cheap nails. (not saying this is what you have done)

I have read the previous threads about ur dermatitis and Laura16 helped you immensely Doug Schoon is a very well respected and trusted individual within the nail industry. Unfortunately it is one of those things my mum has an allergy to acrylates so she cant have anything on just normal polishes, hope your hands have improved and are better.

Edited by Nail_LAB

I will have to check on the bottle the next time I'm in there. I might be mistaken but I'm sure everyone has used MMA where I've been before. I have had several discussions about solvents and asked them to speak to their nail product reps. I usually ask out of interest as I'm a Scientist and I've worked in the solvent industry.

It is the products, not necessarily the way they are used. When they file the 'new' nails the reaction isn't totally complete and allergic reaction can occur by contact with the filing dust. It takes a while for the polymer / monomer reaction to cure.

I only ever went to one place that used electric files....I was scared to death they would ruin my nail bed and never went there again. The finish wasn't as good as I expected either.

None of my nails have ever been 'cheap' in terms of price they charge. They have all done several nail technician courses by well know companies. One had also been a beutician for many years, both were experienced nail salon owners but sadly it seems none of them are technical. I found that the reps selling the products talked 'bull' when asked technical questions about the consituents of their products.

Edited by Chez2
files...

I will have to check on the bottle the next time I'm in there. I might be mistaken but I'm sure everyone has used MMA where I've been before. I have had several discussions about solvents and asked them to speak to their nail product reps. I usually ask out of interest as I'm a Scientist and I've worked in the solvent industry.

It is the products, not necessarily the way they are used. When they file the 'new' nails the reaction isn't totally complete and allergic reaction can occur by contact with the filing dust. It takes a while for the polymer / monomer reaction to cure.

I only ever went to one place that used electric files....I was scared to death they would ruin my nail bed and never went there again. The finish wasn't as good as I expected either.

I re-edited my post as you wrote urs as my mum has an allergy to them and only had them done by me for the first time in years last year and she just had an instant reaction to them due to allergy her fingers tips reddened and swelled and she also got numbness down her arm.

if thats the case im sorry that you were unknownly put around MMA its very upsetting and alarming that so called professional technicians are using this product as it is banned in america australia and a number of other countries i just wish the UK would hurry up and do the same!

Edited by Nail_LAB

i don't use MMA most use EMA and should be using EMA. MMA is what is used in dental filling and should never be used on nails.

Is there a difference between cheap and expensive nail polish remover ?

Nope not really. Just make sure you only use acetone free when removing polish of false nails or overlays.

Anyone know someone who does relaxing to the hair for curse hair??

Any mobile techs that do gel cover s2??

In ready to take off my extentions and would like gel over my own nails

Thanks

can someone tell me a good nail technician i want them to come to my house or me go to them i don't mind

hi dont know if your still looking for a mobile nail technician but im mobile if your on facebook you can pictures of my work by searching fingertips byjill.

Anyone know of any salons that do eyelash extensions that last about 2 month? Good prices ?

I'm looking for someone to do my nails at the end of June for prom but I can't afford the £25-35 price tag that most shops charge, anybody got any suggestions in town/S10 area or mobile technicians?

Edited by kathxxx
spelling mistake