The beauty treatments megathread - do NOT advertise in here

I think that all the enhancement systems use it but I'm going to look into it and I'll get back to you later x

Thanks Laura x.

Some people who work with acrylates in other professions have developed contact dermatitis to acrylates. No doubt more ladies having nail enhancements will develop allergic reactions over time. Perhaps some nail tech. company might think about developing another type of product? Good job I don't apply nails for a living!

It is possible to develop allergies thats why we try to keep contact with the skin to a minimum, techs are usually OK because we don't actually touch the product. x

Thanks Laura.

My GP told me its likely to be contact dermatitis and he showed me some research documents on the 'net about acrylates causing dermatitis. I'm quite sensitive to quite a few things so its not my nail tech. at fault. I can't even wear some 9ct gold due to the nickel content but some 9ct gold is fine! :(

That's a bit strange, I didn't mean it was her fault you can't prevent any product contact with the skin I just meant we keep it to a minimum. I've e-mailed Doug but I don't think there are any other options for enhancements, I also think it's in gel polish. Sorry x

That's a bit strange, I didn't mean it was her fault you can't prevent any product contact with the skin I just meant we keep it to a minimum. I've e-mailed Doug but I don't think there are any other options for enhancements, I also think it's in gel polish. Sorry x

Yep all nail treatments have some form of it in including gel polishes. My mother is allergic to it as well

Hiya everyone!

does anyone no a mobile nail tech in the s2 area of sheff and does them at a resonable price? urgently need em doin around middle of nxt wk as im goin to blackpool for the wkend nxt wk

thanks, leanne xx

Cheryl this was my reply on facebook from Doug:

Doug Schoon If this is an allergy, not a skin irritation, then she's more likely to have a higher tendency to be allergic to many other types of products, either L&P or UV curing. My best recommendation, other than natural nails, would be cyanoacrylate based "nail wraps", since they have a tendency to work well for sensitive clients.

I do nail wraps so if you want to give them a go we could try that or your normal tech might do them but it's up to you as you may still be allergic to those anyway.

Cheryl this was my reply on facebook from Doug:

Doug Schoon If this is an allergy, not a skin irritation, then she's more likely to have a higher tendency to be allergic to many other types of products, either L&P or UV curing. My best recommendation, other than natural nails, would be cyanoacrylate based "nail wraps", since they have a tendency to work well for sensitive clients.

I do nail wraps so if you want to give them a go we could try that or your normal tech might do them but it's up to you as you may still be allergic to those anyway.

Thanks Laura. I am using really potent steriod cream at the moment to try and get them to heal. GP said I need to leave the skin to recover a while before trying anything else.

The skin around my nail itches, burns and swells after I have the acrylic applied. The skin dies, goes hard and dry then peels off to leave really raw skin. The steriod cream is working but they are still open and raw at the moment. Its typical of contact dermatitus. I might be okay with something else for a while then develop an allergy to that too. :confused::(

You should let them heal properly first anyway even if its just for the fact that you won't know if it is that or if they are just sore that day as well. I hope it isn't hurting too much and effecting your card making. You might just have to learn to love your natural nails instead.

I thought it best to put the reply on here anyway as it might help someone else too.

Thanks Laura. My own nails aren't strong enough to cope with all the work I do and the gloves I have to wear for work, gardening etc. I guess I will have to have short nails like a bloke :(

Don't be silly you can still have them painted pretty you should be OK with polish or what about minx that looks fab and won't matter that they are short

Hiya everyone!

does anyone no a mobile nail tech in the s2 area of sheff and does them at a resonable price? urgently need em doin around middle of nxt wk as im goin to blackpool for the wkend nxt wk

thanks, leanne xx

Leanne - your thread has been merged into the beauty megathread.

Please try to write your posts in full rather than abbreviating everything. Thanks.