Sign in to follow this  

General Studies

Firstly - Thankyou all for helping me out with todays general studies exam. :) It was about non-medicinal drugs and we had to discuss their effects and suggest what should be done about them. Phanerothyme and t020 provided me with 2 different views in their arguments in the burglar bit and helped no end - although it would have been nice if this topic hadnt been deleted so the debate would have gone on and provided me with even more to write about (and i could have re-read it through last night to refresh my memory)

Secondly - Has anyone else got an A-level in general studies? If so, has it served any use other than being a chance to air views in certain issues? Has it helped anyone get into uni or get a job? Personally i think it has been a hinderance as the exams put me off the other 3 'proper' subjects. We HAD to do it at our school and didnt have any choice. the only way we could get out of it would be to get an E or lower in the 1st set of exams.

alot of uni's dont accept General Studes as a part of UCAS points, which is kinda daft really

I did General Studies, and I got an A. I'm not sure why its not classed as a 'proper' A level, because it shows a lot more your natural intelligence, general knowledge, and knowledge of current affairs, whereas all the 'proper' subjects tend to be a case of... if you have a good memory to revise with, you'll do well.

Showing my age but General Studies wasn't around when I was at school. Sounds like a good idea though as long as the balance is right.

If you just studied winning Generals then you would not be prepared for the knock backs that life throws at you. You'd need to study a few French ones too.

I got a C at Gen Studies A level. We were all strongly encouraged to have a go at it. We had one 'lesson' a week in it and tended to play Trivial Pursuit. Most of the answers were easy as they were similar to the questions for my main subjects so I could quote stuff from them.

The points were added in my UCAS days. I wouldn't say it has helped me get a job though. I just saw it as a freebie A level that you didn't have to work your socks off for.

Did General Studies as part of day release at Granville College, when I was an apprentice, the GS lecturer would check our names at registration then he'd say "right now you can all **** off", so we did !

Yes we had 1 lesson a week and were told if we didnt attend 80% of them we would not be entered for the exam. I think i went to all in all about 2 lessons. Needless to say when i turned up for the exam - there was definitely an exam paper sitting there for me. I suppose it gives you an extra a-level. If i pass i can say i have 4 a-levels which sounds better than 3.

A levels and the rest were not around when I went to school, if you showed exceptional ability ( which I didn't ) you could get a merit certificate and possibly win a free scholarship to a university.

At fourteen years of age, my last year at school our teacher told us that most of us in the class would finish up as labourers, postmen , bus drivers etc. and I did!!! so one could say that I went to the University of life!!!