Anyone been to Egypt??

Originally posted by sufc_tom

hey guys I also go in January to El Quseir the place looks absolutely beautiful have any of you been to Luxor and could you give me any tips when im there!

i went to luxor!!! although we were actually only there for one and a half days because we spent an extra 2 days in dahab by the red sea.

you could see the temple from the roof garden of our hotel, but we still managed to lost for an hour trying to find it! lol

we went the last week of jan, first week of feb and the weather was just right. like a good british summers day, warm enough for a t-shirt but so not baking hot all you want to do is flop. perfect sight seeing weather.

we went to the kings head bar- at the time it was the only 24 hr bar in egypt. funny how the brits always manage to sniff these places out! lol we were supposed to go to the valley of the kings the next day, but the hangovers didnt allow it and we left that evening to come home.

if you havent got one already, id strongly recommend a lonely planet or rough guide to help you on your way. actually, if the budget stretches to it, get both! we had one of each and on occasions they give conflicting info, but if they both recommend the same things- you know youre onto a winner.

ooh, you lucky thing, im off to reminisce and look at my old holiday snaps! lol

sophie

x

ps. remember to haggle for everything you buy, and dont fall for the sob stories. if you dont, you will pay exorbitant amounts for souvenirs etc. i know this is a bit harsh because the locals rely on the tourist trade for their income- but there will be plenty of other rich foolish tourists to be fleeced- dont let it be you. *speaks from experience*

Has anyone on here been to Egypt?

Im going on the 20th January and staying just east of Luxor on the coast of the red sea. If anyone has any hints/tips or general advice i'd be really grateful.

There is a lot of begging there.... unfortunately if you give to one you will be targeted.... badly! Watch out for theft and drink bottled water only.... you will love it. Careful if you employ a guide.... get them checked out first.... your hotel can usually help.

We have just booked to stay at the Coral Sea Resort in Sharm el Sheikh and found the http://www.holiday-truth.com website to be invaluable. It has got reviews of the all the hotels, pictures, reviews of trips, the sights to see, where to eat and shop etc.

The main advice seems to be stick to bottled water and take plenty of low denomination notes for tipping. Apparently Egyptians working at hotels will only earn about 350 Egyptian pounds per month, which converts to about £35 sterling! Like Jake01 said though, do not give to beggars as you will make yourself a target.

Do your best to get hold of lots of low denomination Egyptian pounds for tips. When we went, there were about 11 to the UK£ and proved very useful.The £1 notes are hard to come by but anything larger is a bit excessive.

Also, always have lots of coins to hand, they are useful for throwing up in the air and escaping in the confusion. This one only applies for children.

We went in February following the first Gulf War and Egypt was empty. We literally had the great pyramids to ourselves. In the largest one there were 3 guides, my wife and I and we saw all the nooks and crannies usually denied to the tourists due to overcrowding.

Have a good time.

A relative was there when the recent explosions went off.

They were just yards from the bombings and there hotel windows went through.

However, I'm going to Egypt in November next year cruising and have no fear.

If the Prime minister can go for his hols to the area of the recent bombings we should be ok.

Enjoy the holiday, you will love it.

Regarding the beggings, you get that anywhere in te African continent as we did in Morroco.

Just tell em to bu**er off.

I went in 97. There are loads of begging. Pens are as appreciated as money, strange, but the kids struggle to get hold of writing tools, funny we take it for granted.

Beer if your rich drink the import, if your not drink the local produce, the reps try and put you off. But first night I drank Heinekin 1/2 pint cans, when I worked out the price I realised I was paying £4 for 1/2 a pint :gag: . So next day I drank the local stuff, its a bit strong mind you and I usually threw up the next morning, but I got through.

Also its wort going to the Valley of The Kings, just to go in Tutunkahmens tomb. Its the crapest of the Tombs, but its "Tutunkahmens" tomb!!! Get my point?

If you get the chance you must have a few days in Cairo, expect much of the same except your surrounded by Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut etc. The most amazing experience i'l take to the grave occurred in Cairo, going in to the hearty of the Great Pyramid of Giza. That alone was worth the money of the holiday, it was all downhill after that.

I did a week on the Nile, that was great just drinking and relaxing whilist drifting down the Nile. I felt I was in the timeless Novel by Agatha Christie. I know now how her trip down the Nile, inspired her book. After this I did 3 days in Cairo, then 4 days in Luxor. I did loads of sight seeing while I was there. I saw the holiday as a one shot deal, so I made the most of it.

I think you'll enjoy it. I did!:clap:

We're cruising round the red sea in February, calling in at some of the most amazing places, Cairo, Luxor and the one I cant wait for, Aqaba in Jordan so we can go and see Petra which is where they filmed the last scenes in Indian Jones and the Last Crusade.

5 weeks on thursday and I cannot wait!!

Originally posted by wayne72

So next day I drank the local stuff, its a bit strong mind you and I usually threw up the next morning, but I got through.

You are my hero :D

Me and my partner are going to Red Sea Riviera beginning of May for our honeymoon, CANT WAIT!! I was told by someone that if you want to visit the pyramids that you have to by a visa in the airport, does anyone know if this is true? if it is how does it work? do they ask you if you want one when you go through customs and in which currency do you pay?

Originally posted by Owls

Me and my partner are going to Red Sea Riviera beginning of May for our honeymoon, CANT WAIT!! I was told by someone that if you want to visit the pyramids that you have to by a visa in the airport, does anyone know if this is true? if it is how does it work? do they ask you if you want one when you go through customs and in which currency do you pay?

Everything you ever wanted to know about getting a Visa in Egypt:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24843

And this link is so helpful for anything you need to know about visiting Egypt in general - it's been a huge help to me and my husband in the last few days.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=32

Got to agree, that site is even better than this one for useful info.