Ecclesall Road is called ECCLESALL ROAD

Pook

My personal 'favourite' is that the village of GREENHILL is definitely NOT said in the same way as the GRENEL MOOR pub!!!

I always thought the pub was called "The Grenell Mower" :huh:

There's also a very long thread somewhere on SF about the pronunciation of Greenhill. We always used to say Grenell, until the council estate was built, which was called 'Greenhill'

Just thought of something else, where's the one about Ecclesall Road not actually being IN Ecclesall?! Despite having an S11 postcode?

This is NOT trolling by the way, genuine query.

Sheffielders are widely noted for their mispronunciation.

For instance, Beaumont Road is always pronounced "Bewmont."

The cupola on Ringinglow Moor (and also a cupola furnace) is pronounced "Cupulo."

The children's disease, chicken pox is referred to as "chicken spots."

A flat tyre has a "pumpture" and so on ad nauseam!

I know it is diverging into a non-Sheffield topic, but i'm fed up how many times (especially in all the recent news reports about new EU states, that 'Rumania' is mis-spelt 'Romania'. It is NOT 'Romania', it is R-U-M-A-N-I-A.

Otherwise, the 'rom' mis-spelling leads to confusion with 'Rome', the italian capital, the Romanies/'Rom' (Travellers), and Romanisch, a region of Switzerland and its ancient language.

Anyway, back to 'Ecclesall Road..!

I always thought the pub was called "The Grenell Mower" :huh:

There's also a very long thread somewhere on SF about the pronunciation of Greenhill. We always used to say Grenell, until the council estate was built, which was called 'Greenhill'

DON'T START THAT AGAIN!!:lol:

Archived