Police vs social services

Well this just keeps getting worse and worse, the lad has just gone home to his mum's for some of his clothes as instructed by the social services and the police. Nobody appeared to be home, within half an hour of him going a family friend has informed him that she has been in touch with the police, trying to get an injunction against him. And Social Services are talking about taking him home to her on Monday :rolleyes:

This is a very sad situation, but at least one person (Lorraine) is doing the right thing by this kid.

Someone has mentioned the NSPCC, they have a free helpline on 0808 800 5000. I don't know what they could do but perhaps they could remind the council of their legal obligations?

You should also contact each of your local councillors to ask why the council are ingoring a child who is clearly at risk. Who in the council have you contacted already? There are some contact numbers for child protection here: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/safe--sound/protection-from-abuse/child-protection

Child Protection is one of the most important responsibilities the council have. They cannot be allowed to ignore this.

One other thing, are there any grandparents, aunties etc who could help out?

it really is getting worse. Call SS on their out of hours line and ask to speak to the Duty Social Worker for Children and Families on telephone number (0114) 273 4855 (apparently this is answered 24 hours a day 7 days a week). I know a lot of the children's social workers and if the right one is on duty things willllllll get done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! explain what has just happened and tell them it needs to get sorted NOW! If they say they can't do anything tell them you will put him out on the streets (even though I KNOW you wouldn't). that should make them think twice.

Please let us know how you get on.

all our hearts go out to u lorraine an family good job u hav a heart or god knows where he wud be now

After reading this thread it is does not say anything good about social workers there are completely useless do a search on social workers on SF

Just rung them and explained it to them and have been told that they will make a note of it and pass on the information to his social worker first thing Monday morning marked as urgent, so still can do nothing until then.

After reading this thread it is does not say anything good about social workers there are completely useless do a search on social workers on SF

that doesn't seem very helpful. as I said i know a lot of social workers, fair enough they don't seem to be helping BUT they have procedures to follow, and a lot of children's lives have probably been saved/ made much better because 1 social worker has showed some concern and wanted to make a difference.

Just rung them and explained it to them and have been told that they will make a note of it and pass on the information to his social worker first thing Monday morning marked as urgent, so still can do nothing until then.

That's rubbish, Lorraine. There will be a duty social worker on duty at all times, so if you need this situation sorting before monday get back to them and refuse to take no for an answer.

The answer "we can't do anything until Monday" is fine if you're calling to complain about a broken streetlight, or that your bin hasn't been emptied, but it doesn't really inspire much confidence in this situation!

Just another thought but someone must care about this kid otherwise who reported him missing to the Police in the first place? Have you asked him about grandparents etc?

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation- I'm sure that the lad in question isn't an angel, but he surely doesn't deserve abandonment at his age.

Thank you on his behalf for caring for him, and trying your best for him lorraine29.

Have you (or has he) rang Childline and asked their advice? They're on 0800 1111, and they can bring in child protection services, as can the NSPCC.

If you are planning to throw him out before Monday - then I'm sure they'll treat him as an emergency - if not, then he's safe and cared for until staff start working again on Monday. That's the thing with prioritisation of housing, sometimes there are people in even more desperate need than you are.

Ive had dealings with ss before and i can tell you Lorraine i DON NOT envy your situation one bit.

Some people have this idea that all you have to do is make a phone call in times of need and the system 'springs' into action.

Well, nothing could be further from the truth.

Good luck and keep at them.