Northfield Court fallen gable end

I wonder if the new homes they are building on Lydgate Lane/Cross Lane will be called "Gable End Falls" !!!!

Are these the new flats where the remaining terraced houses that the company wanted to buy were "accidentally" made unsafe by a bulldozer and had to be knocked down and the land sold to said company?

When I looked at this picture the flats reminded me of 1960s system building throw ups. I cannot believe anyone would pay a large amount of money to live in these .. they look as if they have damp problems as well.

Anyone know when they were biuilt?

They were finished last year.

My cousin worked on there when they were building the flat, he says the problem is a lot of the brick laying was done in the snow |( cold makes the cement not work as it should) and no ties were ussed to tie the gable to the roof joists.

My cousin worked on there when they were building the flat, he says the problem is a lot of the brick laying was done in the snow |( cold makes the cement not work as it should) and no ties were ussed to tie the gable to the roof joists.

Both those things could be responsible as could the 'mix' of the mortar.

It will all come out in the investigation.

This maybe another example of speed over competence. :rant:

This should not happen with old or new building methods. Heads will role over this I predict ,on the Builders side and possibly the Councils.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Do you mean a Building Regs Inspector might have been negligent in signing off the work?

...gotta wonder if the buildings reg's bloke will be quite so lenient with signing off any tiling next time.

;):hihi: :hihi: Hope not :hihi:

Then again tilings not covered by Buildings Regs ;)

Says in tonights "Star" that the developer used "independent" building inspectors not the council...

...hmmmmm.

:huh:

Says in tonights "Star" that the developer used "independent" building inspectors not the council...

...hmmmmm.

:suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: mmmmm indeed. :suspect:

I was out walking my dog when this happened. It was pretty weird to see the wall collapse right in front of me. Not what you expect when you are having a quiet walk! Although on saying that there were some pretty weird banshee-like noises just before so i figure it must have all been connected!

Merlin are building more flats at Victoria St in the city centre. The place I work at is doing testing on them (on the concrete I think). I don't think we tested for Northfield Court though so you can't blame me...

...hmmmmm.

Could have been an NHBC inspector? Most private developments ask for an NHBC certificate as far as I'm aware.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Aboutus/Whatwedo/

Given the fluctations in the amount of building in Sheffield I wouldn't have thought it realistic for the council to hire and fire people to carry out all building inspections dependent on the amount of work being carried out at any one time.

Its interested how part of the gable has fallen here. Its the part of the wall bearing the least dead load. I would have to question how well the gable was tied back into the main building.

Aside from that, its is not Merlin Estates fault. If it passed the building regs, they cannot be solely to blame. Additionally, if Merlin commissioned a contractor to do the build, then the contractor is responsible for the build (and in some cases the design too).