Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Refer to my posting #257.

The thread is about a Mosque..so yes that is part of Islam.

Although NorbertColon was expressing views that were not based to Islam but more of his issues with ethnics, namely the Pakistani's. NorbertColon replied in response to my post asking people to name a SENSIBLE location (implicitly within SHEFFIELD). The link to Karachi and Lahore were not very relevant dont you think?

Seeing as the vast majority of the Muslims living in that area of Sheffield, who have pushed this mosque through (and despite) planning restrictions are either of Pakistani origin or Pakistan-born, I think the connection with Pakistan is just as apt as the connection with Islam. I don't see many people of Indonesian or Saudi origin in that part of Sheffield - do you?

Not being happy with the abject failure of multiculturalism in the UK's major cities, and not feeling encouraged by the growing islandisation of ethnic communities in our cities, and their refusal to integrate, does not make me a BNP voter.

It makes me an Englishman who is concerned over the social decline of, and growing ethnic divides within, his home city.

Not being happy with the abject failure of multiculturalism in the UK's major cities, and not feeling encouraged by the growing islandisation of ethnic communities in our cities, and their refusal to integrate, does not make me a BNP voter.

It makes me an Englishman who is concerned over the social decline of, and growing ethnic divides within, his home city.

So where was the link to Islam? The BNP are anti-Asian hence his assumption.

I never said you was a BNP supporter or voter. I merely stated the how Troyhark may have made his assumption.

Also the majority of Muslims I know do integrate. Integration varies though on a personal basis. The only difference is that most people feel that because a practising Muslim may not goto Nightclubs or drink Alcohol then they are doing a poor job at integrating.

I believe most Muslims, are working, paying taxes, and being responsible citizens of the country. So exactly what part of the "integration" do they fail.

Can you give me an idea (as i'm a Muslim) on what the criteria is for me to be considerd a intergrated individual.

Seeing as the vast majority of the Muslims living in that area of Sheffield, who have pushed this mosque through (and despite) planning restrictions are either of Pakistani origin or Pakistan-born, I think the connection with Pakistan is just as apt as the connection with Islam. I don't see many people of Indonesian or Saudi origin in that part of Sheffield - do you?

I didnt realise that a group of people with hardly any power could push the buidlings authority to accept their application. There are bodies and organisations in the world that are able to bend the law to their needs, but I think the Muslims of Heeley or Sheffield havent got that ability. Even if they did, then there is clearly a problem with the buildings authority that would have to be addressed.

I agree that the majority of the Muslims that will be attending that Mosque will be of Pakistani origin, that is due to the demographics of the Muslim population in the Heeley area. Although there is no sign on the door saying Pakistani Muslims only. I assure you.

The link to Pakistan is irrelevant as my request to name a sensible location implied implicitly in Sheffield.

Ever since 70s Muslims have played an integral part in the development of this glorious city but never have received the recognition they truly have deserved. Thus, this newly built mosque on Wolseley Road is a tremendous achievement for the entire City including the Muslims. Even though I agree with some members of this forum that the mosque could have been better designed etc, I also believe that there will always be racial bigots and white supremacist who will always begrudge against such projects and Multiculturalism in general.

I think it's ugly, it should have at least been done it in a similar brick to the surrounding buildings.

Seen it for the first time today. What an absolute eyesore. How the **** do these things get granted planning permission?

Or is it a case of not wanting to reject it in case of 'offending muslims'

Ever since 70s Muslims have played an integral part in the development of this glorious city but never have received the recognition they truly have deserved. Thus, this newly built mosque on Wolseley Road is a tremendous achievement for the entire City including the Muslims. Even though I agree with some members of this forum that the mosque could have been better designed etc, I also believe that there will always be racial bigots and white supremacist who will always begrudge against such projects and Multiculturalism in general.

Multiculturalism?? Anyone who's been to Bradford town centre recently will no there's nothing multicultural about that place.

I m not opposed to the architecture per say but I am currently loking to buy a house in the area for around £110K and looked at a property down the road from the mosque. We were instantly put off by it for a couple of reasons in particular. Namely; the parking/traffic issues when the mosque is open and the noise pollution at the times of call to prayer. I used to live opposite a church with bells in Amsterdam and it was a bloody nightmare every sunday when I wanted a lie in!

Well you have made two mistakes then.

1) The parking problems around the mosque are 1% of the scale of the parking problems on a match day. Are you aware that SUFC is situated 500 yards further into town and they play in the premiership.

2) There is not going to be any noise pollution.

i hate it, its cheap and nasty looking, not well built or well thought out at all, to say it cost about 22 million to build its shabby. I could of designed a better mosque, it doesn't do islam any good at all. The people who designed it should be ashamed of themselves. I don't mean to cause any offence to anyone, but to be honest i really don't like it.

It's a shame that all those who object to ugly buildings don't kick up such as fuss when a new BP garage opens. Especially as they are never made of brick to blend in and not only that, they use lots of green plastic.

Whether or not you like it, is nothing more than personal taste, so any fool who brings religion or race into a discusion of an edifice's architectural merit, will quite rightly be questioned as to whether they have racist leanings or are a member of the BNP.

Seen it for the first time today. What an absolute eyesore. How the **** do these things get granted planning permission?

Bullseye!!

Or is it a case of people making completely unsubstantiated claims that there is no way of proving / disproving?

Or is it a case of people making completely unsubstantiated claims that there is no way of proving / disproving?

Surely not!!! That would never happen here!:D