Poll: New Heeley Mosque, what do you think?

What do you think of the new mosque  

619 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new mosque

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't really care

Not used! That'll come as a surprise to some people.

http://www.abbeydalepicturehouse.com/

And there's the Abbey Bar and Snooker Hall too.

I should have said the main part of the building that I believe was the cinema. It has started to look very tatty and I don't see the snooker or bar people improving matters, it looks closed to passers by and that's not a good sign is it?

I don't think it will be ready in time for Christmas. I went past it this week and they hadn't even put a tree up inside, let alone any trimmings

I'm not joking but when i first saw it i assumed it was a new curry house.;)

Interesting the way the arab community is perceived

Classic ! lol. A curry house *that* big ?? Hm.....

LordC: Playing devil's advocate ? :P

I guess it depends on the individual mosque's religious ethic, doesn't it ? Since it is a place of workship, it may be stricter, than if it was a home, or a shop.

I don't think it will be ready in time for Christmas. I went past it this week and they hadn't even put a tree up inside, let alone any trimmings

I would imagine they'll be very careful about putting up anything - furnishings included - that may be flammable.

I think if you look in th eplanning records you will find a "outline planning permission application " which was rejected.

No its not. Re-read my post above, where I clearly state that its not because its a mosque that i dislike it.

Are we only allowed an opinion on it if its a positive one?

i'm with you, as a building it looks cheap and vulgar, built in the wrong location and totally out of context with the rest of it's surroundings.

For all those who are saying its in the wrong location, can you give your thoughts on what would have been the right location?

Or even why you think it is the wrong location?

OK fellow blardies..

Glories of Islamic Art!

Walk up the hillside anywhere between the mosque and the top of meersbrook park, turn round and have a look. Rather imposing is an understatement.

I've loved the view from up there since i was a kid, like thousands over the generations. Now at night it is an eyesore (spect same in the day), a 'carbuncle' as Prince Charlie calls such things.

YELLOW bricks in a sea of red?

FAKE windows...

Plenty PLASTIC?

It's so TALL!

Come on... watch the current series of 'Glories of Islamic Art' (BBC, tues eves) to see how wrong the pakistanis have got it. ...Is it supposed to be a 'reflection' of the old Co-Op that stood there?

For all those who are saying its in the wrong location, can you give your thoughts on what would have been the right location?

Or even why you think it is the wrong location?

Id probably have just put it in the middle of a field out of harms way.

I think if you look in th eplanning records you will find a "outline planning permission application " which was rejected.

The reason "the Abbeydale" cannot be used as a mosque is nothing to do with it's position or orientation. It is purely to to with the fact that it is listed and can only be used as an entertainment centre, which is what it was built for.

I know this because one of my Best friends is the son of the former owners of the building

Id probably have just put it in the middle of a field out of harms way.

out of harms way? :huh:

Its already been mentioned that the reason the mosque was built there, in place of the existing mosque is due to the large number of muslims in the area.

:hihi: :hihi: