The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

madowl

My relations the Harrisons little Tommy and Florry lived at number 24 Lofthouse road. Lily swanstone was a widow, she was Barry Swanstone's mother living nearly opposite number 24 but I do not know the house number.

Bob Dinsdale lived on Lofthouse road near Dutton Road on the river side of the road, do not know the number.

Happy Days! PopT

Bob Dinsdale is my cousin, I remember as a child visiting their house on Lofthouse rd, he has a brother called Graham, his parents were my Uncle Jim and Auntie Nelly, my auntie Nelly worked at Bassetts,and when we visited she always got a big tin of liquorish allsorts out of the cupboard,thats why me and my sister liked visiting!!

I also remember looking into Bassetts from their back yard,and seeing a netball/tennis court on the roof of the factory,does anyone else remember this?

Doesn't quite sound like it ,maybe it was just an house on Penistone rd with a long lane way to the Don?, the reason it is so well remember ,pre 5yr's old I had to go up with a basket of goodie's(butter ,egg's etc) every two weeks or so,it was pre-war and things were tough allround ,I could walk from 511 nr Bamforth, my mother ran a small shop at 511

Yes there was an eden sreet i used to live there in the 60s

Bob Dinsdale is my cousin, I remember as a child visiting their house on Lofthouse rd, he has a brother called Graham, his parents were my Uncle Jim and Auntie Nelly, my auntie Nelly worked at Bassetts,and when we visited she always got a big tin of liquorish allsorts out of the cupboard,thats why me and my sister liked visiting!!

I also remember looking into Bassetts from their back yard,and seeing a netball/tennis court on the roof of the factory,does anyone else remember this?

My mates at no 22 lofthouse rd, they backed on to bassetts, (john-david-ian mclean) the out side loo, backed onto bassetts wall, at the other side of this wall was some Prefabricated Buildings which had netting around them, i remember if the ball went over having to crawl under it... aslo on top of one of the biuldings was a like triangle shaped window??? i remember this well as, me and david were once sat on the top of the prefab, (as kids do) and some how the window went through and the workers inside were stood looking up at us!!! next thing, the security guard was knocking on the door... :D dont you just miss the childhood days of being a youth...?

It just beings back so many memories of my childhood every time this thread is resurected, I grew up on dutton road, Dad Dennis Davenport, Grandparents Annie and Dennis that had the shop on dutton road and the chippie opposite sunblest.

Madowl all the names are familier to me but all are a few years older than me. The ones i remember from around there are the cheethams, horne's debbie and anita. Sure that there is many more but remembering names is not my strong point.

Edited by Axl Rose

Yes there was an eden sreet i used to live there in the 60s

would Eden st be way past Burton on the way to Basset's or is it one of the A.B, C. D, E. st's 70yrs is a long time to go back but looking for dad's relative& I'm thinking before Bassets but distance means little to a pair of 5yr old legs:help::help:

Hi Flyer

Did you know Kenneth Horne who delivered the papers for The Star on York Street and his father Joe who was a great bowler and personality?

Keep em coming Owlertonians! PopT

No sorry most but not all names are long forgot ,always a battle to fight off the rust

hello

do any of you old penistone roaders remeber ann smith who i think lived on tannfield road mid ixties, she had a friend also called ann, i think she lived in the newsagents opposite the park(if my memory is working lol)

ann smith also worked in the victoria in the early senenties up to it being closed for the dual carraigeway

thanks

Does anyone remember the 3 Harrison brothers who lived on Penistone Road opposite the Hillsborough Park- There was Freddy, then John and the youngest was Allan.

Fred would be around 70, John about 65 and Alan about 62yrs old.

My, how time flies!

Happy days! PopT

hello

do any of you old penistone roaders remeber ann smith who i think lived on tannfield road mid ixties, she had a friend also called ann, i think she lived in the newsagents opposite the park(if my memory is working lol)

ann smith also worked in the victoria in the early senenties up to it being closed for the dual carraigeway

thanks

The only person i remember in the papershop in that era was i think a lady called ESME