The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

hi pop t

just found this thread i remember johnny crapper,dave thomson,barry radcliffe he was a right lad haaaaaa i lived on bastock rd do you remember mick wall he had two twin brothers stephen i forget the other one can you remember sheilas cafe across the rd from bastock oh happy days

The only person i remember in the papershop in that era was i think a lady called ESME

Esme lived next door to the paper shop other side of the entry from the Pollard's. Her surname was Hicks and she had a son, Stephen who was a year or so younger than me. The shop on the corner of Dutton and Penistone was a fruit shop owned by "Tick" Wainwright.

I first remember a Mr Musk owning the paper shop (mid fifties). Across Dutton there was a cafe on the corner and the bloke, Bernard, had a mobile shop. Next was a butcher's, then Mrs Yate's spice shop, and then Mary's clothes shop/haberdashery.

Good old days!

Esme lived next door to the paper shop other side of the entry from the Pollard's. Her surname was Hicks and she had a son, Stephen who was a year or so younger than me. The shop on the corner of Dutton and Penistone was a fruit shop owned by "Tick" Wainwright.

I first remember a Mr Musk owning the paper shop (mid fifties). Across Dutton there was a cafe on the corner and the bloke, Bernard, had a mobile shop. Next was a butcher's, then Mrs Yate's spice shop, and then Mary's clothes shop/haberdashery.

Good old days!

Was the fruit shop owned by Hopkins? my brother went to Firth Park with Trevor (their son)

ray123

Didnt Mick Wall die tragically falling off a ladder?

When you mentioned Sheilas cafe (her husband was Graham) well, I used to work for them on match days running the stall outside the cafe selling cigs,sweets etc. I did that for years until i left School in 1960.

We are godparents to their daughter.

arrodbo

yes thats true mick did die was a good mate of mine went fishing with him his grave is at wiswood cemetary .thats the one malcolm two good lads they was yes i remember the stall out side the cafe they was a smashing couple sheila and graham are they still around happy days

royal regular

stephen and malcolm thats it wounder how they are going on use to make me laugh those two pair of good lads dont know if you remember when there front room burnt, it was compleatley gutted i think through a cigerette i can see mary and tommy now both crying outside

Hi Royal regular

I think you'll find that the corner cafe and mobile Shop belonged to Bernard Worth, next door was Mrs Yates spice shop then Mary Reeves Haberdashery and then Harry Kendall's butcher's Shop and then Blackburn's house with the big entrance to his haulage yard and garages.

Happy days! I lived on that section of Penistone Road.

Does anyone know where Roy Pollard is? He was the elder brother of Ann who married a singer. The Pollard family lived next door but one to the Musk's (former Binn's newsagents shop)

PopT

hi .i grew up on penistone road 1961 -1980 ,me and my brother lived with my grandparents at the wool shop (next door to wongs chinese ) my grandma actually used to own the chinese before she sold it to mr wong ,then we moved next door to the wool shop .I married jeff from the detached house which was next to henry eadens forge ,across from the wednesday ground .

This thread has brought back many memories.

I remember the pryors from bastock road and the wildsmiths ,angela was a friend of mine ,I remember yates sweet shop but didnt it change hands and become known as elaines ? also can you remember cops shop which was in the row of houses after the shops ,it was taken over by mrs Abbott and her daughter christine and was known locally as "fag abbotts ".Happy days .