The old houses off Penistone rd

popt

Me and my brothers plus my parents used to go to the club as we only lived around the corner (Winster Rd.). I remember being there when a young comedian was on called Duggie Brown who i found out later was the sister of a woman who was on Coronation street.

We used to alternate between the Ozzie Owl club/Dial House/Oakland road and sadly I think the only surving place is Oakland Rd.

Great memories as you say!!

We used to walk up to the dial house club to see a group called bitter suite my boyfriend now my husband thought they were the bees knees because they played some jimmy hendrix and heavy rock music .

We also used to go in the crown alot when John was landlord his mother was always there and made people pay if they accidently broke a glass ..you definatly wouldnt argue with her !.My dad pete taylor used to go in the sportsman as he liked his tetleys beer .

Ron and beryl had the vic and their son gary worked behind the bar ,they did lovely steak sandwiches on a saturday night .

There were some great characters lived round owlerton and I have very fond memories ,times were hard and people didnt have a lot but the community was great .:)

Caz2go

Do you remember Tony and May Trickett.

Tony used to drink in the Sportsman's Group and May in The Crown.

We had some good laughs in those days, days when the crack was good in the locals without the rancour.

Happy days! PopT

I was born at No 30 Brough Street. I remember that a lot of my family used to live in the same street. We could go into anyone's house and we did, we kids could play in any yard - happy days!

Lazy Herbert - I'm one of the Ashton clan from Brough Street. We used to live at No 30. My grandparents were Tommy and Sheila Ashton.

Caz2go

Do you remember Tony and May Trickett.

Tony used to drink in the Sportsman's Group and May in The Crown.

We had some good laughs in those days, days when the crack was good in the locals without the rancour.

Happy days! PopT

PopT I remember Tony Tricket (I think), He had a great Tony Curtis haircut

I cant remember Tony trickett ,but i,ll ask my dad when I see him as he was a regular in the sportsman , my dad is 68 now ,he used to live in the long row of houses with entrys across from the park and the bus shelters .

arrodbo

Yes Tony Trickett had jet black hair and a great Tony Curtis hairstyle, lived on Broughton Road but later moved up to Shirecliffe.

PopT

flyer

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

POPT

thats right he allways use to go in the vic most nights we hads some right laughs with him

caz2go

wasnt donald wildsith married to a ginger haired woman was her name shiela

caz2go

wasnt donald wildsith married to a ginger haired woman was her name shiela

Don was married to a woman with ginger hair but her name was Rita,they lived on bastock road