The old houses off Penistone rd

I never knew Jimmy. He lived with my stepfathers grandmother Ada Pontefract at 11 Dutton Road at the small shop. I was told he came from Ireland and his name was James Morissy. I do not have any war memrabilia except his British War Medal and the Victory Medal for 1914 - 1918. He lost both his legs in the war and had a small cart to get around on.

My stepfather Clifford Beaumont who was brought up at the shop by his grandmother adored him. I know he is burried at Rivelyn Cemetery as they wanted to go and drink his health at the Holly Bush before he was burried but the undertaker made them go for a drink after. My dad never forgave them for this. He said Uncle Jim never wanted much from life but he did want some sort of wake!

My dad died in 1991 and my mother Betty died in May 2007.

Sid Softley was my dad Clifford Beaumont friend. He delivered milk as far as Wadsley Bridge on a wheelbarrow. I garaged my car in his barns from 1958 to 1961. Before Clifford or Bill as he is known to our family married my mother in 1952 we spent Christmas at the Softleys.

I can remember a Cliff Pont who had the shop......(think his wife was called Olive) and Dennis and Annie Davenport having the shop before taking over the chip 'ole from Dick Jow. Also the Burnands lived next door-I went to school with Philip, and Mr Burnand had a pigeon loft in the back yard.

Cliff Pont was actually called Clifford Beaumont or Bill to our family. He married my mother Betty a widow with 2 children in 1952 and brought us to live at Dutton Road. He had been brought up by his grandmother Ada Pontefract who died in 1952. Ada opened the shop in the early 1900´s and it was continued by Betty and Clifford until 1963 they had a daughter Brigette born in 1956.

Peter and Dora Burnand lived at No,.13 next door and had a pigeon cote at the bottom of the yard. I spent many a day helping bring in the pigeons. Peter and Dora had 2 children Margaret and Phillip. Phillip was my parents godson and he visited my mother a few years ago. My mother Betty died this May just before her 90th. birthday. Bill died in 1991 aged 80 years.

I knew Philip Burnand well....and now you mention it, I remember Brigette too. Brigette would have been in the same class as my sister at Hillsborough school.

I always new the shop as "Pont's". Maybe this was after your grandmother.

My mother used to work in the other shop on the corner of Harewood and Dutton...Mrs Buttery's when I was a kid, and I believe it was Mrs Kitson's before that.

We lived on Lofthouse.

I never knew Jimmy. He lived with my stepfathers grandmother Ada Pontefract at 11 Dutton Road at the small shop. I was told he came from Ireland and his name was James Morissy. I do not have any war memrabilia except his British War Medal and the Victory Medal for 1914 - 1918. He lost both his legs in the war and had a small cart to get around on.

My stepfather Clifford Beaumont who was brought up at the shop by his grandmother adored him. I know he is burried at Rivelyn Cemetery as they wanted to go and drink his health at the Holly Bush before he was burried but the undertaker made them go for a drink after. My dad never forgave them for this. He said Uncle Jim never wanted much from life but he did want some sort of wake!

My dad died in 1991 and my mother Betty died in May 2007.

My grandparents lived at 7 Dutton Rd during WW1 and WW11.

I remember Jimmy.

We lived at 7 until we moved onto the Cross 1946-7??

My mother who died 2002 at 88 told me Jimmy would hoist me onto his stumps as he sat outside the shop on the nice days.

I will forever remember the smells inside the shop, which thanks to Pop T I now know were Vinegar /Paraffin /Kindling wood

You left Dutton Road before we moved in at the shop in 1952 so we would not have met. I would however like to know anything else about Uncle Jim to tell my neice as part of her family history.

I married a Williams from Bamforth Street and the eldest brother David has lived in Ontario since 1964. He has been living in Toronto for the last 5 years.

My mother's brother was Frank Terry and I was told he lost his right leg in the same action with Clifford Pont, I believe two others were killed outright.

He used to play the bugle at the Weston Park Memorial every year to remember other Hallamshire soldiers who didn't return.

I was told that because of their age and wounded condition only around 5 old soldiers used to attend the annual parade in the city.

It appears they always left the parade when it reached the Brown Bear on Norfolk St by doing a smart right turn and straight into the pub to remember their old comrades by drinking to their memory.

They couldn't last the full duration of the parade etc.

I remember both of these men and both were very cheerful and enjoyed a good laugh, even as they struggled in their lives.

These men were certainly Sheffield's finest heroes, how they survived was a miracle.

Dunreet you must always be proud of Clifford.

Thank you for your information. As I said in the beginning Clifford Beaumont was my stepfather and such a kind man. It was his uncle Jimmy Morrisy (Pont) as he was known. I am trying to find information for my neice Cliffords grandaughter. I traced the service history of my own grandfather after I found out he had been killed in France in 1918 he won the MM twice. You can obtain Service Records and even recordings of the days of battles from the Department of Books. I obtained my granfathers complete military service record as a next of kin. I even found a relative with the comendation he received so I have a photograph. Its amazing what is out there if you go through the correct channels I will look up the contacts I had but it would help if you knew the year your Uncle lost his leg, Uncle Jimmy lost both of his and the others who were killed. On the medals I have he was in the York and Lancs Regiment, I have his service number so that should help. I would like to find out the year he died, then I can find out more about him. I must have been wonderful seeing the survivors parading through Sheffield, I wonder if my dad knew about that. He would certainly have joined them for a pint.

I wonder how the name "Pont' applied to everyone who occupied the shop at 11 Dutton Rd

I think we even called Cliff 'Cliff Pont'.

Maybe it was Pont's 'for Donkeys years and the name just stuck, or maybe we were to lazy to say Pontefract and it got shortened to Ponts

When we were young kids, in the 50's we would to go on to the end of Cuthbert Bank Road behind the bill posts where all the pigeon coytes were.

We used to throw stones down onto the roofs of the houses below, the ones opposite Presto Tools, and pretty soon some one would come out ranting and raving and using words we'd never heard before :rant:

Good old days :hihi:

I was born and raised on Tanfield Road until they pulled the houses down to widen Penistone Road which would have been about 1982-3.

My mom and dad are called Margared and Harry Waller, I have a sister called Mandy.

Some of the kids that lived on Tanfield

Steven and Jane Wall

David Smith

Julie and Paul Shardlow

Mandy Goddard & sister

Nick Didsbury

Micheal & Mark Wareham

Ashley & Tracey Bond

Andrew Manning

Alison & Jason Morton

and Neil Smith who just visited his Gran.

I remember the Walls...weren't there twin boys, Steven and Malcolm? And an older brother Mick who died a few years ago after falling off a roof he was working on?