The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

maybe all you very knowledgable people could help me - I'm trying to find some accommodation - B&B's or pubs would be ideal as long as they are clean & comfortable & preferably between Hillsboro & Stocksbridge, I'm sure there must be quite a few around, we hope to spend time with family, but we don't want to out stay our welcome.

Thanks all once again for all the happy memories.

Perth

If you intend to be in Sheffield when the University is out ,the cheapest accommodation is in some of the residences.

Of course not near Hillsborough but easily accessible on the Supertram

Idont remember harewood rd the names all fade lived on penistone rd30s &late 40s High house rd(off bamforth)now demolish, cousins lived near Bassets backing on to the Don,i can still smell that place, in &out lots of yards as our roaming covered a large area,we was always back in time for tea

I was born at Bamforth St in '63 (same house my mum was born in) but a few weeks later we moved to Gleadless Valley cos they were knocking most of the terraces down.

I had relatives living at Anlaby St and elsewhere on that estate- they were fondly known as the ABC streets, I was told (Anlaby, Bamforth and C?)

Shame they knocked em down and I lver got to see what they looked like - and I wonder how much of a 'slum' theyd turned into to be demolished -I mean, here I am now living in a pokey old terrace at Hunters Bar - and it sounds as if the ones at Hillsborough were probably bigger than this pokey little old shack!

BTW in the public records/ archives in Shefield, there are some old photos of the area that were taken just before the houses were demolished.

katkin

Anlaby, Bamforth and then I think it was Cottam Street.

I agree totally with your comments on the old houses

I often smile when I see some of the smaller modern houses, described as 'bijoux' or 'cottages'.

No bigger than the one's they knocked down, obviously better with hot water etc. but I'm afraid we haven't moved on much.

I'm sure a lot of the old better one's would have made good houses if they had been refurbished to bring them up to modern standards.

The old neighbourhoods had something money can't buy, friendship, community etc.

It makes me sad to see many of our older population homed in flats where they live mostly lonely existance.

I think there is a lot to be learned from looking at the benefits but doing away with bad conditions that existed in our old houses and the way people lived in them.

Maybe we could hear what other forummers have to say about the old areas.

Happy Days!

Happy Days!

yes I remember Martin Phelan, I expect that we both know quite a lot of names even if we can't put a face to them now.

thanks for offering to ask you brothers about any B & B's, I remember Micheal very well, he was around my age, also his friend Trevor (Marshall?)who lived on parkside & Norman Clark & Trevor Hattersley both on Penistone Rd, I knew them through Wadsley Bridge Chapel, I used to spend quite a bit of time there, there always seemed something 'going off', either May Day concerts or Whitsuntide walk & races in the afternoon followed by tea at the chapel. I would love to know how anyone who used to go to Wadsley Bridge Chapel

is going on - It seems like a different life now! but its good to recall it all now & again.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone remember the little shop at the toll bar at the bottom of Parkside Road.

It was run by a Mrs Hoyland who had a son Barry.

On our way to Hillsborough County School we would buy 'little Imps' or Sherberts from there.

There was also a bread shop higher up the road which was turned into a hauirdressers later on.

As kids we would buy penny loaves which were miniature loaves.

Does anyone else remember these places

Happy days!

The Shop half way up Parkside belonged to Mrs Woods and we used to get things for our mom on the strap till friday pay day, Mrs Woods like all shops in those days sold butter off a slab and wrapped it up in greaseproof paper,mind you we didn,t get butter it was more like Stork on bread with sugar on it.

In 1966 when the shop had changed into a hairdressers my first house as a newly wed was 34 Parkside Rd in the same yard as the shop,My younger brother lived in the bottom house of Parkside. Do you remember all the trams on matchdays lining up on Parkside?

Hi Arrodbo

I do remember Mrs Woods at the shop and the tramcars parking up on Parkside Road.

Are you related to Barry hoyland who lived at the 'Toll Bar' shop?

I wondered if he was still around, I would think he'd be about 70 years old now if he is still living.

Was the shop still standing when you moved into 34 Parkside Road?

Happy Days!

Hi Arrodbo

I do remember Mrs Woods at the shop and the tramcars parking up on Parkside Road.

Are you related to Barry hoyland who lived at the 'Toll Bar' shop?

I wondered if he was still around, I would think he'd be about 70 years old now if he is still living.

Was the shop still standing when you moved into 34 Parkside Road?

Happy Days!

Hi Pop T, I am not related to Barry but vaguely recall him,I am just 62 so a little younger. The shop was still standing in 1966 and i believe it still is. I moved from Sheffield in 1967 but not as far as you, i moved around Britain before settling in Blackburn Lancs. You may recall my family we are the TURTON,s and lived on Winster Road. Michael,Roy,Terry,Tony (i am Roy)

Brothers still live in and around Sheffield, Kind regards, Roy

yes I remember Martin Phelan, I expect that we both know quite a lot of names even if we can't put a face to them now.

I was with Martin Phelan and his good wide Margaret on Saturday. Both are keeping well and living at Loxley at the moment. Their son Patrick bought my old house.