The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

Does anyone remember the old farmhouse that used to be on the left hand side of Borough Road about opposite the ice cream yard.

It had a date cut into the stone over the doorway 16**, sorry I cannot remember the correct date.

It went at the same time as Softley's Farm on Penistone Road, at the end of that road opposite the Crown Inn.

I bet that place was really old as well.

Maybe someone out there can enlighten us with some history of these two buildings.

Happy days!

Does anyone remember the old farmhouse that used to be on the left hand side of Borough Road about opposite the ice cream yard.

It had a date cut into the stone over the doorway 16**, sorry I cannot remember the correct date.

It went at the same time as Softley's Farm on Penistone Road, at the end of that road opposite the Crown Inn.

I bet that place was really old as well.

Maybe someone out there can enlighten us with some history of these two buildings.

Happy days!

Softleys Farm Cottages were accessed off Leppings Lane and were there throughout my childhood. The farm now lies under the Eskdale Estate. I left the area in 1960 so I don't know when they were demolished.

Jossman

I think we are talking about two different locations but maybe linked.

The Softley Farmhouse and farmyard I am asking about was situated on the corner of Borough Road and Penistone Road.

The house was end on to Penistone road with a garden at the Sheffield side and the yard on the Wadsley Bridge side.

The entrance to the yard was on the corner opposite the Crown Inn.

The other farmhouse was the next house on Brough Road.

Could you tell me where the Softley Cottages were situated exactly as they are new to me and I would love to know more about them.

There were some cottages near to the chip shop on Leppings Lane near the top of Bickerton Road, are these the cottages you are talking about?

Softley's son Chris married and moved into a house on Bickerton Road but I do not know of any connection to the cottages.

Happy days!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When i was a child,i remember going to visit my great aunt & uncle on penistone rd somewhere (Annie & Bernard Potts)..My uncle Bernard used to have pidgeons in the pidgeon lofts up there.Used to love going to visit them.As far as I am aware they are still alive.

Does anyone remember the Bassett's sweet factory at the top of Beulah Road.

So many girls with so many stories, let's hear about them.

Happy Days!

I remember playing football against the factory gates...:hihi: and climbing on the old shed roofs that backed on to our old houses.... not saying if i ever nicked any sweets....:cool:

i hope security at that place has got better....:D