Can Anyone Remember Greasy Vera's?

Guest Pauly

Who was Vera by the way, and had she never heard of Wash n' Go?

Anyone heard of that new brand especially for tramps and smelly students? It's called Go n' Wash. :D

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WERE MISSING!

WESTLERS HAMBURGERS, DEEP FRIED!! PEOPER HEART ATTACK MATERIAL!:thumbsup:

A GOOD MUG OF HORLICKS TOO.:love: TO SOBER YOU UP!

I was veggie at the time passing by on the way hom with Mellthebell but in the last few years i have eaten meet and i agree ****ing awsome the van is still there not sure if she is still open what a legand..

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WERE MISSING!

WESTLERS HAMBURGERS, DEEP FRIED!! PEOPER HEART ATTACK MATERIAL!:thumbsup:

A GOOD MUG OF HORLICKS TOO.:love:TO SOBER YOU UP!

sober up? whats that then?

:P

John cheggs out of Greasy Vera's

From The Star, 28 May, 2003

Text: SOME time after 5am on Sunday morning John Smith will serve his last cheggburger - cheeseburger with onions, egg and tomato for £1.60 - and an era will come to an end at Greasy Vera's.

John, now 61, is calling it a day, or rather night, after 24 years of serving fry-ups in Sheffield to a motley crew of clubbers, rock stars, actors, taxi drivers, policemen, prostitutes, druggies and drunks.

He's hardly ever had a hint of trouble. "Everybody gets on with one another, all types and all races. And I talk to them. I think that goes a long way," he says.

Greasy Vera's, a 1952 Austin van parked on land at Swinton Street, on the fringes of Burngreave, was started 40 years ago by a woman called Vera who never liked the greasy epithet.

There's been a steady trickle of big names for bacon, sausage and egg breadcakes in the middle of the night.

Maurice Chevalier dropped by in Vera's time, as have pop stars Stranglers, Saxon and Jarvis Cocker and actors such as Lewis Collins and Lysette Anthony, star of Three Up, Two Down.

But none challenged the record of Georgie Parkie who scoffed ten double cheggies in one night.

Vera's - it never changed its name to Greasy John's, nor will it when a young couple called Neil and Beverley take over - is a port of call for foreigners shown the sights.

John, often an agony uncle for people who need to talk in the middle of the night - "they come back and say thank you" - has seen a few sights in his time.

A Page 3 girl once got her own cheggies out at the van while lads skinny dipping in the nearby River Don ordered late night snacks and ate them sitting in a puddle.

John, from Killamarsh, who plans to retire with his wife Joan to an East Coast bungalow, tried to do so a few years ago. But after a story in the Diary customers persuaded him to stay on. This time it's for real.

Despite eating his own food - it's all fried - every night, John is a slim, slight figure. "People say grease is no good for you but I am really healthy," he says.

He has one word of advice for Neil and Beverley. No tick to the ladies of the night.

"They'd come by and ask for a coffee and a sandwich and say they'd pay me after their first client. I'd not see them for three weeks and they'd make out they didn't remember."

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER GREASY VERA'S AND THE FAMOUS CHEGG BURGER? IT WAS THE OLD ARMY VAN PARKED BEHIND THE PETROL STATION, AT THE BOTTOM OF CORPARATION STREET. (NEEPSEND)

I MUST HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH BURGERS! THIS IS MY 2ND THREAD I'VE STARTED AND THEY BOTH ARE ABOUT BURGERS!! I'M NOT MAD REALLY!!:loopy:

Why the need to shout?

yeh the shady green truck with barbwire around it. I sued to pass it everyday when i worked on Cherry street just of the Lane.

________

Buy Easy Vape

Edited by Eric_Collins

And the chip shop at the top of Corporation St. They used to cook in Dripping!! Not that I condone that, but it was bl**dy lovely!

greasy veras burger van was my mums aunts van till she retired then died.

John cheggs out of Greasy Vera's

From The Star, 28 May, 2003

Text: SOME time after 5am on Sunday morning John Smith will serve his last cheggburger - cheeseburger with onions, egg and tomato for £1.60 - and an era will come to an end at Greasy Vera's.

John, now 61, is calling it a day, or rather night, after 24 years of serving fry-ups in Sheffield to a motley crew of clubbers, rock stars, actors, taxi drivers, policemen, prostitutes, druggies and drunks.

He's hardly ever had a hint of trouble. "Everybody gets on with one another, all types and all races. And I talk to them. I think that goes a long way," he says.

Greasy Vera's, a 1952 Austin van parked on land at Swinton Street, on the fringes of Burngreave, was started 40 years ago by a woman called Vera who never liked the greasy epithet.

There's been a steady trickle of big names for bacon, sausage and egg breadcakes in the middle of the night.

Maurice Chevalier dropped by in Vera's time, as have pop stars Stranglers, Saxon and Jarvis Cocker and actors such as Lewis Collins and Lysette Anthony, star of Three Up, Two Down.

But none challenged the record of Georgie Parkie who scoffed ten double cheggies in one night.

Vera's - it never changed its name to Greasy John's, nor will it when a young couple called Neil and Beverley take over - is a port of call for foreigners shown the sights.

John, often an agony uncle for people who need to talk in the middle of the night - "they come back and say thank you" - has seen a few sights in his time.

A Page 3 girl once got her own cheggies out at the van while lads skinny dipping in the nearby River Don ordered late night snacks and ate them sitting in a puddle.

John, from Killamarsh, who plans to retire with his wife Joan to an East Coast bungalow, tried to do so a few years ago. But after a story in the Diary customers persuaded him to stay on. This time it's for real.

Despite eating his own food - it's all fried - every night, John is a slim, slight figure. "People say grease is no good for you but I am really healthy," he says.

He has one word of advice for Neil and Beverley. No tick to the ladies of the night.

"They'd come by and ask for a coffee and a sandwich and say they'd pay me after their first client. I'd not see them for three weeks and they'd make out they didn't remember."

wonder if he lives round here?

pretty popular with sheffielders, doncastrians and barnsleyites :P