Why is a house called a drum?

It isn't, as established earlier in the thread. It's some sort of rubbish modern cockney rhyming slang. Like Britney Spears = beers. Oof.. :shakes:

What as in 'Threppney Bit's?----- T**'s :hihi:

I was told that it comes from the Roma language. (You know, Gypsy).

What as in 'Threppney Bit's?----- T**'s :hihi:

Yup. Or "Bristols". ;)

It isn't, as established earlier in the thread. It's some sort of rubbish modern cockney rhyming slang. Like Britney Spears = beers. Oof.. :shakes:

I'm not sure it's particularly modern, I can remember it being used for a long long time.

I'm not sure it's particularly modern, I can remember it being used for a long long time.

Which slang, "Britney Spears" or "Drum 'n' Bass"? Britney Spears wasn't famous until 1998, Drum 'n' Bass wasn't a widely used musical term until the mid 1990s. Both fairly recent IMO.. :rolleyes:

It is criminal slang years ago burglars used to go down roads knocking on doors until they came to empty house the distictive sound of a empty house gave name to this activity and it was called drumming and over many years a house became a drum. the echo from knocking at doors is completely different when the house is empty, believe me.

Which slang, "Britney Spears" or "Drum 'n' Bass"? Britney Spears wasn't famous until 1998, Drum 'n' Bass wasn't a widely used musical term until the mid 1990s. Both fairly recent IMO.. :rolleyes:

Neither.

I meant the use of 'drum' to mean a house.

Neither.

I meant the use of 'drum' to mean a house.

Ah.. well that's alright then. :D

Ah.. well that's alright then. :D

Mind you, I'm not claiming to be some know-it-all, I only really know because I heard Albert Steptoe say it once or twice, and I can't exactly see him listening to drum and bass in the 60's....

I forgot to mention in my previous post it did have it,s orgin in London but well before the 60,s

It is criminal slang years ago burglars used to go down roads knocking on doors until they came to empty house the distictive sound of a empty house gave name to this activity and it was called drumming and over many years a house became a drum. the echo from knocking at doors is completely different when the house is empty, believe me.

I've heard this before somewhere.. it sounds very plausible.

It is the fact, this is the correct explanation any other is wrong. I know some "drummers" personally, just so nobody gets the wrong idea the practice of drumming was faded out in the early 60,s mainly due to "Neighboured Watch scheme"