The Esquire Club

I remember seeing Sonny Boy Williamson but can't remember when. Why has no one mentioned Zoot Money? Does no one remember him?

Yes I recall Zoot (real name George Money) and his 'Big Roll Band', they had a similar -perhaps better- style to Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, and Mr. Money looked like he didn't miss too many meals !

---------- Post added 24-04-2016 at 00:10 ----------

Anyone recall when the Esquire- under the Terry Thornton regime- closed ?

---------- Post added 24-04-2016 at 00:40 ----------

Going to the Esquire one summer evening in 1964, my then girlfriend and I (I was 17) arrived very early around 7:30 before things got started and were sat at the mezzanine bar (no alcohol at the Esquire tho' !) with only about six people in the place. There was this young man sat there with an acoustic guitar by his side talking with 'Mr.T.". A few minutes later, the young man begin talking to us and my lady friend kept staring at him and I saw that he was an incredibly handsome tall young fellow (who I don't usually look at by the way.) He resembled , with his shoulder length hair and pencil moustache, a young Errol Flynn. He informed us that he was travelling around trying to pick up gigs for a 'few bob'. He had an immaculate soft spoken -almost BBC announcer voice- and gave us his business card with autograph on it, with my girl pal still drooling. The young gentlemanly fellow who didn't divulge who he really was (and later confirmed by Mr.T. who gave him 10 minute spot) was Michael Chaplin son of Charlie Chaplin. Good nights at the Esquire or what ?

Edited by stpetre
Edit

Yes, good nights at the Esquire. Great memories of the place.

Think it would be around 64 where a group of us would go regularly.

One of the first acts I saw was Georgie Fame and subsequently saw many of the now legendary acts that people have already mentioned.

The Steam Packet with LJB, Rod, the beautiful Jools Driscoll and backed by the Brian Auger Trinity. The Graham Bond Organisation. The Who. The Yardbirds. Just too many to mention. I'm also sure I saw the Kinks there but my mind may be playing tricks on me. There were bands on every other week at the City Hall or the Gaumont as well so it's all starting to blur a bit.

My favourite act was Jimmy Powell and the 5 Dimensions who put in a blistering set every time they appeared.

Was there the night the Walker Bros started a brief set before being dragged off the stage by girls and having to seek refuge in the back.

Never once saw any trouble there but I do remember it being raided by police and can remember one Bank Holiday after some seaside riots where there was rumoured to be a big gang of Rockers waiting to beat us up outside. Not true as it happened.

Been great to read this thread again, It got me thinking that you see a modern act today and there forgetable after plus you only see them at the Arena now which is also forgetable.

All the bands mentioned on here are known to us 60s pop fans but most aren't big names....I was to young to see the Esquire and really feel I've missed out on some great concerts..The bonus to that though if I had I would be over 65 now, there is a good side afterall.

Well yes there probably isn't a person who was a teenager in the 60s who won't tell you it simply was the best time to be alive. Everything seemed possible. The world was changing and it was looking like it was for the better.

Now in our late 60s we realise that the hope faded fast but our memories of those magical days still live on. We were the luckiest of generations in so many ways.

Well yes there probably isn't a person who was a teenager in the 60s who won't tell you it simply was the best time to be alive. Everything seemed possible. The world was changing and it was looking like it was for the better.

Now in our late 60s we realise that the hope faded fast but our memories of those magical days still live on. We were the luckiest of generations in so many ways.

You are right in all you say, however I would relinquish those memories to be 16 again, with my 71 year knowledge LOL :D

Yes, as most of us had parents that had come -without much complaint- through a depression and a world war, and raising a family, (I hadn't come along yet). I don't think (with respect) it was a 'hope that faded' rather the society that we had created and went with the tide (and the ride !). Yes lucky as you say, plenty of jobs, and we could put a bit more money into the house, some to learn trades at. People moving out of "Dickensian' housing conditions. Some of my favourite things of the era were; Leaving school, Mini's, (skirt and cars).The Beatles, Lambretta and Vespa scooters, Stones' ales, Tizer, Suede jackets, Harry Catterick's Wednesday team, Jubbly's and Cassius Clay (I know he's from Kentucky U.S.A. just thought I'd mention him !) Thank you Dreb48.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Had some great times at the Esquire! Even got to shake the hand of Karl Perkins,didn't mean much at the time,but the guy goes down in the annals of popular music as one of the Million Dollar Quartet.

Also there the night Steampacket played.......Long John Baldry introduced Rod Stewart to the stage,Rod did great renditions of Up Above My Head and I've Got A Tiger By The Tail.

More often than not after the last set of the night, we would run into Pond Street to catch the last bus home and a lesson in expletives from Pond Street Nora.

• 4 weeks later...

How right you are.The best of everything was at our finger tips.Jobs,Money,Clothes.and the best music ever.I worked at Walter Fox And Partners which was bang next door to the Esquire and is now the Leadmil club.We used to go on the top floor of Foxes and there was a gap that you could look through and see inside the club.We used to sit there and listen to the bands rehearsing for the gigs at night.We used to get a free show.Happy Happy days,wish I could bring them back.

Thank you.

Remember visiting T.T. when he had just taken over the building and he was sawing through the floorboards by hand to make a balcony to overlook the performing area. He could do anything with wood and would have a go at anything. He trained as a pattern maker at Davys engineering which is the ultimate in woodworking. Saw two antique experts in a Bakewell shop arguing whether a Welsh dresser he had made was early or late 1800s. Sad ending to a very accomplished man.