Why does Sheffield like Privet so much?

The story I heard was that all the iron railings were too poor quality iron to be recycled into weapons-grade material, and that they were all dumped somewhere out in the Thames estuary. And that they knew in advance that they couldn't do anything useful with the metal, so the whole thing was never anything but propaganda.

On the other hand, I've tried to find a reference for it and failed, so I suspect it might be a myth.

Vince

The story I heard was that all the iron railings were too poor quality iron to be recycled into weapons-grade material, and that they were all dumped somewhere out in the Thames estuary. And that they knew in advance that they couldn't do anything useful with the metal, so the whole thing was never anything but propaganda.

On the other hand, I've tried to find a reference for it and failed, so I suspect it might be a myth.

Vince

You will find reference to this in a history of sheffield video which is availble in the Made in Sheffield Shop.

The railings which used to line all the terraces in sheffield were ornamental and therefore extremely cheap metal of vastly variable quality.

The kind of metal which was needed for the war effort would have had to have been much higher grade, so it would be likely that it would have been cheaper to make good quality steel and iron from scratch, rather than trying to refine and recycle all this monkeymetal.

privet's a good barrier, it grows slowly so is easy to manage and it's evergreen!

privet's a good barrier, it grows slowly so is easy to manage and it's evergreen!

It's a pain the the backside. I've got too much privet and when we move I'll be glad to see the back of it.

You won't be surprised to hear our new house has fencing and no hedges to cut :hihi:

it's "mucky" stuff, IMO...I'd much rather have a wall, or a fence than a privet hedge.

takes a heck of a lot less maintenance, that's for sure.

In fact I lived in a privet hedge for some months. It was Ok but very scratchy when taking a shower.

Lol :thumbsup:

because it's damn fine for bouncing in and out of! ;)

It also makes good topiary!

Just yards from my house are a caterpillar, a naked woman and a train, complete with smoke, all made from privet!

because it's damn fine for bouncing in and out of! ;)

Also good for shoving mates into on the way home from the pub.

Also good for shoving mates into on the way home from the pub.

Privet hedges remind me of council estates, you do not see it at the posher end of Sheffield.

well, here's one who doesn't. I had a house rabbit for five years ( beloved mr d.k. bones) and bunnies cant eat privet as is very toxic!!!!!!!!