Would anyone be interested in a Forum Walking Group?

Several long established walking groups in the Sheffield Area list their walks in Wednesday nights Star and some other social groups with walking events are listed in the Sheffield Telegraph.

Good first time walking examples Malin Bridge to Lodge moor via Rivelin Valley.... Porter Brook Valley.... Sheffield Round Walk.... Sheffield County Walk( can be done in 7-14 sections) ... Walks around Bradfield.....Stocksbridge...Ecclesfield.....Grenoside to name a few!

Soooo..is anyone going to organise anything? ;)

Just a note of doom that's flashed through my mind. If the plan was to have several different walks and people could choose one to hopalong with, could this feasably mean that someone (esp female) could turn up in the wilds of the Peaks to find that the only walking company was a complete stranger who may not be well known on the forum, if you know what I mean? I don't mean to be alarmist - just being a bit creeped out by someone in the middle of nowhere with no escape bus handy is traumatic enough for me! Would an SF known-quantity be assigned to each walk? How would that scenario be avoided or minimised?

One way round this may be to take a trusted friend with you to remove any need for reliance on other people.

Soooo..is anyone going to organise anything? ;)

From what I can see there are 2 different issues here, a) whether there's enough interest to start an SF Walking Group and b) going on walks rather than talking(writing) about it. :D

From what I can see there are 2 different issues here, a) whether there's enough interest to start an SF Walking Group and b) going on walks rather than talking(writing) about it. :D

I really like the idea of a Walking Group on the forum; it could turn into an invaluable source of information on recommended routes by folk who really know the local area. I'd also like to see tips about gear, recommended shops etc; maybe even some stuff about camping, orienteering and the like.

The only problem I can see is the implications for the potential group leaders of health and safety issues. As leaders and 'moderators' of the group on the forum, would these people also be responsible for organising/leading the walks and as such responsible for the safety of the others walkers in an 'official' capacity? If so, wouldn't it involve first aid and other qualifications being obtained, form-filling, insurance etc?

I think if the group leaders intend only to be responsible for the group's activities on the forum, then one of their first threads should probably state this clearly. You can never be too careful about potential legal ramifications should any accidents occur while group members were out on a walk which had been organised on here.

I wouldn't mind doing this. I like walking - yes even up hills ;) - and it'd be good to meet some new people.

I've emailed Geoff, just need to iron out certain points and we'll be ready to go.

What? We've got to iron stuff before we set out? Blimey we will look smart!!

Sounds likes a great idea. I would be interested. I've heard that some rambling groups walk really fast, and don't even seem to enjoy the beautiful scenery, which put me off joining one.

yes, good idea ,i go for walks on my own on sundays.

Would it be suitable for all age groups, or doesn't it really matter, as long as people enjoy the walk and company?