General Election 2024: July 4th

Political parties are stepping up their campaigns ahead of a still-to-be-called General Election.

Polls have a strong lead by Labour with a weak relatively showing from Conservatives, but parties usually on the periphery could flourish and even potentially become king-makers in some kind of coalition, depending on the results.

What's your thoughts on where the election will land?

(All political posts in this thread, please).

I think it's pretty obvious that Labour will get the most seats. I think whether they get a majority or not will depend on what happenes in Scotland. If the voters there abandon the SNP who seem to be imploding and go back to Labour, then I think Labour will get a majority.

Although it matters little who wins. The uniparty has been in power since 1997.

• Like 1

Sunak is saying things are getting better and the economy has turned a corner, the fastest growth in almost 3 years.

Although on the other hand, UK Government debt @ £2,654.3 billion at the end of Quarter 3 (July to Sept) 2023, worse than Germany, Finland, Sweden, Mexico, Poland, Korea,  Australia and many other countries.

37 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Sunak is saying things are getting better and the economy has turned a corner, the fastest growth in almost 3 years.

Although on the other hand, UK Government debt @ £2,654.3 billion at the end of Quarter 3 (July to Sept) 2023, worse than Germany, Finland, Sweden, Mexico, Poland, Korea,  Australia and many other countries.

It's hardly like the UK is an outlier when it comes to debt though. Here are the top 10 countries in the world with the most debt;

1. USA

2. UK

3. Germany

4. Japan

5. Netherlands

6. France

7. Italy

8. Canada

9. China

10. Switzerland

With the exception of China, they are all essentially the most advanced countries in the world and the best places to live. The size of your economy is generally more relevant than debt. The USA has the most debt, but it also has by far the largest economy in the world. Think of it like a very wealthy person having more expenses than the average person on the street.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

It's hardly like the UK is an outlier when it comes to debt though. Here are the top 10 countries in the world with the most debt;

1. USA

2. UK

3. Germany

4. Japan

5. Netherlands

6. France

7. Italy

8. Canada

9. China

10. Switzerland

With the exception of China, they are all essentially the most advanced countries in the world and the best places to live. The size of your economy is generally more relevant than debt. The USA has the most debt, but it also has by far the largest economy in the world. Think of it like a very wealthy person having more expenses than the average person on the street.

I don't recognise those figures, they are rather pointless if its total debt and does not take GDP into account.

Next UK government faces toughest challenge since 1950s on debt - IFS, our debt does matter!

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/next-uk-government-faces-toughest-challenge-since-1950s-debt-ifs-2024-01-25/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/government-debt-by-country-advanced-economies/

The above link is similar to what I was reading online, with UK debt at 104% of GDP.

Edited by El Cid

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I don't recognise those figures, they are rather pointless if its total debt and does not take GDP into account.

Next UK government faces toughest challenge since 1950s on debt - IFS, our debt does matter!

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/next-uk-government-faces-toughest-challenge-since-1950s-debt-ifs-2024-01-25/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/government-debt-by-country-advanced-economies/

The above link is similar to what I was reading online, with UK debt at 104% of GDP.

My point is that countries with larger economies will generally have larger debt too. The problem is when you get a Greece type scenario where a smallish country can't repay its debts.

I'll leave it there anyway so we don't go off topic, seeing as the thread is about the next election.

7 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

My point is that countries with larger economies will generally have larger debt too. The problem is when you get a Greece type scenario where a smallish country can't repay its debts.

I'll leave it there anyway so we don't go off topic, seeing as the thread is about the next election.

It wouldn't be going off thread, since all popitical posts are meant to be here. Seems a strange idea to me.

So there are no longer any Labour, Conservative, Brexit threads, just this one.

Everything is political, term time holidays fines, immigration, tax etc!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

It wouldn't be going off thread, since all popitical posts are meant to be here. Seems a strange idea to me.

So there are no longer any Labour, Conservative, Brexit threads, just this one.

Everything is political, term time holidays fines, immigration, tax etc!

I agree.

If everything deemed 'political' is going into one thread, it's going to become an unweildly and nightmare thread to navigate.

I was going to post something about the outbreak of explosive diarreah in Devon, and how the mood is shifting away from one of the key planks of modern Conservatism, privatisation, but it just gets lost in the ether as one page rolls on to the next.

I think the Mod should rethink this, and structure something that's much more user friendly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I agree.

If everything deemed 'political' is going into one thread, it's going to become an unweildly and nightmare thread to navigate.

I was going to post something about the outbreak of explosive diarreah in Devon, and how the mood is shifting away from one of the key planks of modern Conservatism, privatisation, but it just gets lost in the ether as one page rolls on to the next.

I think the Mod should rethink this, and structure something that's much more user friendly.

We had seperate threads for each political party and yet all of them had exactly the same arguments from the same people in them over and over and I'd like to try and get away from the usual lazy baiting they constantly contained. I also want to try and get away from too many of the 'megathreads' of hundreds of pages as they do cause a strain on the server/database.

I've just tried to focus it down to General Election stuff a little, because that is going to be the thrust of all politics in the coming months.

Your diarreah (can. never spell that right?!) post sounds like it would make a good stand-alone thread about that incident, and the privatisation discussion could live in here - especially as that subject is a key focus of one of Labour's election pledges today (specifically GB Energy)?

By the way - seemed to be a strong showing for Labour at their announcements this morning, despite it looking like Kier Starmer was presenting a reboot of Kilroy's old TV show.