What Really Takes You Back In Time (In A Good Way)

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Thought it was Thursday, pal.

🤣🤣🤣

25 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

That's nice.

It's Wednesday int it.

Come on, say it's Wednesday and I'll leave you alone 😁

Yeah 

23 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Yeah 

:thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Mister M said:

For me it's wearing certain aftershaves which I wore when I was younger. I think smells are very evocative and can really take you back to the moment. (Boss Number 1, Paco Rabanne, and 1881 Men by Cerruti, in case you were wondering).

The taste of oven chips or yorkshire puddings & gravy takes me back to my childhood years at my Mum & Dads.

I completely agree about smells being evocative. I remember when they used to tarmac the road, the smell would take me right back to my childhood  in Summertime for some reason! Not quite as up market as Boss Number 1! 😊 😁

20 hours ago, wearysmith said:

The smell of a really well-cooked burger takes me back to my first visits to Uncle Sam's Chuck Wagon on Ecclesall Road in the mid-70s. As soon as you were seated a waitress (they were always waitresses) would bring you all a cold glass of water. Gawd knows why they stopped doing that. It was really civilised and customer-focused.

(To this day I still reckoned their chilli con-carne and melted cheese tacos are unbeatable.)

McDonalds and the like are pitiful comparisons after you'd encounter one of Sam's proper flame-grilled burgers.

I remember Uncle Sam's, it really was a great place. I don't remember the cold glass of water that they gave you before ordering though! There was a really good burger place next door to the Broomhall Tavern (Can't remember the name, can you?) The food was so good but what I remember the most was the circular tray of relishes that they brought to the table. I remember a waiter coming to take it away and my response was "just leave it" Not like me at all! :D:

When I'm in Sheffield, a visit to the Red Deer on Pitt Street. Must be one of a handful of Sheffield  pubs that have served consistently good hand pulled beer since the days before CAMRA. Nigh on 50 years ago to the first time I went there. Glad the toilets aren't still outside across the yard though.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2024 at 16:45, Draggletail said:

I remember Uncle Sam's, it really was a great place. I don't remember the cold glass of water that they gave you before ordering though! There was a really good burger place next door to the Broomhall Tavern (Can't remember the name, can you?) The food was so good but what I remember the most was the circular tray of relishes that they brought to the table. I remember a waiter coming to take it away and my response was "just leave it" Not like me at all! :D:

Fat Jacks ?

4 hours ago, HallamGirl said:

Fat Jacks ?

Yes, Fat Jacks, thank you! We used to go there regularly. I remember when the owner sold the business and we went in. No relish tray and the burgers were different and not great. When we were leaving the new owners shouted out to ask if everything had been alright. Didn't have the heart to say. 

I had just left school(1958) and got a holiday job before starting tech.

I went into the office to report for  work (dogs body)and there was the most gorgeous girl typing away.

A couple of  weeks later the office cleaner asked me if would like a date with that girl.

Yes Yes Yes, 

We were together until she passed away a year ago.

Her dress reminds me of that meeting and I have it in the wardrobe

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

I had just left school(1958) and got a holiday job before starting tech.

I went into the office to report for  work (dogs body)and there was the most gorgeous girl typing away.

A couple of  weeks later the office cleaner asked me if would like a date with that girl.

Yes Yes Yes, 

We were together until she passed away a year ago.

Her dress reminds me of that meeting and I have it in the wardrobe

I'm glad you had a long and happy marriage, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. 💜