New Bus Gate Planned For Furnival Gate (Between Matilda Way And The Moor)

From the revised Connecting Sheffield City Centre plans:

”We plan to install another bus gate into the city on Furnival Gate between Matilda Way and The Moor. By reducing traffic in these areas, we can contribute to improving air quality and improve access for public transport.”

It seems the original plan to remove the Furnival Gate roundabout for green space and cycle lanes has been scrapped due to cost and new cycle lanes will now instead join Arundel Gate and Pinstone Street via Charles Street (which in turn will be pedestrianised between Pinstone Street and Union Street).

7 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

”We plan to install another bus gate into the city on Furnival Gate between Matilda Way and The Moor. By reducing traffic in these areas, we can contribute to improving air quality and improve access for public transport.”

It seems the original plan to remove the Furnival Gate roundabout for green space and cycle lanes has been scrapped due to cost and new cycle lanes will now instead join Arundel Gate and Pinstone Street via Charles Street (which in turn will be pedestrianised between Pinstone Street and Union Street).

Don't see exactly what that will achieve on Furnival Gate - but the Council knows best, apparently.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Don't see exactly what that will achieve on Furnival Gate - but the Council knows best, apparently.

I didn’t think it was that busy up that way anyway, but they must be anticipating something?

It does mean a fairly large one way system in place if I’m thinking about it correct… it also effectively makes Charter Row to Pinstone Street one-way to non public transport (we already know Pinstone Street to Cross Burgess Street will remain one-way northbound, so there’ll be no other traffic entering up Furnival Gate anywhere?).

So, putting 2+2 together (and perhaps not getting 4?) the only (non-taxi) vehicle access to the Radission Blu will be via Charter Row, which kinda forces (northbound) traffic around the ring road to the Ecclesall Road roundabout. That’ll be a minor number of vehicles though, I’m sure. 

I don’t think it will be a huge difference at all  that I can see.

The loss of changes to Furnival Gate roundabout is huge though — that looked quite nice in the previous mockups (basically, removing the roundabout section from Furnival Gate to Arundel Gate and making the other sections 2-way… than creating a nice big accessible green space with priority pedestrian and cycle paths to connect up to Hallam, etc). The Charles Street alternative isn’t anywhere near as good for me, and ensures a busier mix of cycles and pedestrians crossing each other on Pinstone Street (especially the lower half of Pinstone Street that isn’t fully pedestrianised and is the bigger problem for that mixture).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I didn’t think it was that busy up that way anyway, but they must be anticipating something?

It does mean a fairly large one way system in place if I’m thinking about it correct… it also effectively makes Charter Row to Pinstone Street one-way to non public transport (we already know Pinstone Street to Cross Burgess Street will remain one-way northbound, so there’ll be no other traffic entering up Furnival Gate anywhere?).

So, putting 2+2 together (and perhaps not getting 4?) the only (non-taxi) vehicle access to the Radission Blu will be via Charter Row, which kinda forces (northbound) traffic around the ring road to the Ecclesall Road roundabout. That’ll be a minor number of vehicles though, I’m sure. 

I don’t think it will be a huge difference at all  that I can see.

The loss of changes to Furnival Gate roundabout is huge though — that looked quite nice in the previous mockups (basically, removing the roundabout section from Furnival Gate to Arundel Gate and making the other sections 2-way… than creating a nice big accessible green space with priority pedestrian and cycle paths to connect up to Hallam, etc). The Charles Street alternative isn’t anywhere near as good for me, and ensures a busier mix of cycles and pedestrians crossing each other on Pinstone Street (especially the lower half of Pinstone Street that isn’t fully pedestrianised and is the bigger problem for that mixture).

These plans seem to be heading towards making city centre completely inaccessible by any vehicle other than buses or taxis (which IMO should be excluded from bus gates anyway)

There are a few issues with that:

1. How are businesses going get their supplies? 
2. Disability access, once again, like the closure of Pinstone hasn't been considered, at least in any great detail. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Resident said:

These plans seem to be heading towards making city centre completely inaccessible by any vehicle other than buses or taxis (which IMO should be excluded from bus gates anyway)

2. Disability access, once again, like the closure of Pinstone hasn't been considered, at least in any great detail. 

No i dont think thats the strategy

As we've seen with ULEZ you could drive a challenger tank through London.....just as long as you pay the ULEZ charge

Its all about the money and every city and town will have ULEZ within the next 5 years

Then they will introduce a charge per mile 

10 minutes ago, Resident said:

1. There'll always be provision for deliveries. They just might have to alter their route a little. The 'what about deliveries' line has been used for as long as I can remember, including previous pedestrianisation (where it happens and to everybody's shock, places still open and still manage to get their deliveries).

2. Is a slight concern. There is always the Connect bus (now free) to get people around the city centre. But there does seem to be a loss of some disabled spaces. It would be interesting to know what is happening to the John Lewis car park now with the recent campaigns - is it condemned to the point of being totally unusable, or will it reopen in some form?

9 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

So more cyclists muscling in on our pedestrian space then. But hey, who are we kidding, it's not as if the pavements in the city centre aren't over run with Deliveroo & Just Eat riders on electric bikes anyway. Why not add more in to the mix? 🤪

• Like 1