Hillsborough Is The 2nd Best Shopping Area After Town

41 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I like Hillsborough

Hillsborough has character about it doesnt it ? I love to see old photos of Hillsborough years ago when the shops were different and Hillsborough Barracks were in use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Crystal Peaks/Drakehouse far better.

Crystal Peaks is good but Drakehouse is awful. It's not pleasant to get to from the Peaks, steep steps or a lift that regularly breaks down. It's a nightmare to get across the roads round there and some of the roads around there have no pavement! Then there are no toilets at Drakehouse, no ATMs to withdraw money, which puts people off spending and no benches. It's like a mini Milton Keynes. Not a nice place to spend time. I wrote to Drakehouse management years ago and told them my thoughts but never got a reply, says it all about how they value the customer experience! Atleast in Hillsborough there are ATMs, some (but not enough) benches, and pelican crossings/the bus gate, making it easy to get around. The park is nice too (when it's not closed for private music festivals). 

I would suggest the number of people who drive to a retail park expecting to draw cash out there is next to nil. 

Please feel free to show us some independent research proving otherwise, though. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would suggest the number of people who drive to a retail park expecting to draw cash out there is next to nil. 

Please feel free to show us some independent research proving otherwise, though. 

For a start, not everyone drives there. And many shopping precincts provide ATMs, Meadowhall is one of them. Cash use is on the increase. 

I go to Drakehouse by public transport and I expect to be able to have access to an ATM. 

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Does 'I've made it up' count as independent research 

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

For a start, not everyone drives there. And many shopping precincts provide ATMs, Meadowhall is one of them. Cash use is on the increase. 

I go to Drakehouse by public transport and I expect to be able to have access to an ATM. 

Well what you deludedly expect and actually receive are two very different things. 

The owners of the retail park will know full well who their customer base is. It has been designed and is operated predominantly for customers arriving by private car and at least 11 of its 19 tenants are businesses where cash transactions will be very much in the rarity. We are looking at furniture shops, high value electricals, home improvement stores and a travel agent here.

Exactly the sorts purchases that normal people will not be paying with wads of cash, therefore no pressing demand for an ATM.

Just because you want to act like some rebel against electronic payments doesn't mean the rest of the world is. If you want to be inconvenienced by insisting on cash, that's your problem.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well what you deludedly expect and actually receive are two very different things. 

The owners of the retail park will know full well who their customer base is. It has been designed and is operated predominantly for customers arriving by private car and at least 11 of its 19 tenants are businesses where cash transactions will be very much in the rarity. We are looking at furniture shops, high value electricals, home improvement stores and a travel agent here.

Exactly the sorts purchases that normal people will not be paying with wads of cash, therefore no pressing demand for an ATM.

Just because you want to act like some rebel against electronic payments doesn't mean the rest of the world is. If you want to be inconvenienced by insisting on cash, that's your problem.

Customers want to pay cash. More businesses are realising this and reversing their decision to "go cashless". 

I buy many electricals etc with cash but for the record, Drakehouse is home to places such as B&M which sells cans of pop for 55 pence, Homebase which sells plant seeds from £1.69 and a burger van which will very much rather not have card transaction fees. 

If the customers want it and aren't getting it, they will go elsewhere. I go elsewhere because I find Drakehouse a poor experience. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

What evidence do you have to say cash use  is on the increase and over what period. I now use my debit card in supermarkets like Tesco and Asda even if only spending 20p simply because I have got fed up with them constantly getting rid of all their small coins on the self service tills. I don’t want 2x20p and 2x 5p when a 50p coin will suffice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigAl1 said:

What evidence do you have to say cash use  is on the increase anNod over what period. I now use my debit card in supermarkets like Tesco and Asda even if only spending 20p simply because I have got fed up with them constantly getting rid of all their small coins on the self service tills. I don’t want 2x20p and 2x 5p when a 50p coin will suffice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/cash-use-grows-for-first-time-in-10-years-as-people-pay-closer-attention-to-household-budgets-13024643 There you go, you're welcome. 

More and more businesses are stating cash as their prepared method. I reccomend joining the Keep Cash group on Facebook. April the 2nd will be a national Use Cash day, where participants have pledged to withdraw cash for the whole day and only spend in cash. The initiative will show banks and large businesses what the customer prefers. 

20 pences and 5 pences spend just as well as a one 50 pence piece. They may come in handy for things such as pay to use toilets too, such as at the Interchange, where the customer must have a 20p piece to enter.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I fundamentally disagree that cash use is on the up. My (and I am sure the majority of people's) experience of retail over the past few years would be the opposite. Shops putting in more card only tills, public transport putting their preferred method of payment as contactless, small mobile retailers such as coffee sellers, brownie bakers and pop up shops all using sum ups etc. it's only a matter of time for the beggars to get on board and have tap facilities!

3 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I'm sorry I fundamentally disagree that cash use is on the up. My (and I am sure the majority of people's) experience of retail over the past few years would be the opposite. Shops putting in more card only tills, public transport putting their preferred method of payment as contactless, small mobile retailers such as coffee sellers, brownie bakers and pop up shops all using sum ups etc. it's only a matter of time for the beggars to get on board and have tap facilities!

Cash use has always had a steady flow of users. It is increasing. The queues at the ATMs are getting longer and more people I see at the bar are saying no to card and paying with cash. Tesco etc are loathed by many for putting in card only self service tills. If you bother to question and look in to it, you will see that the customer doesn't want card only tills. If you give money to any beggar, then more fool you.

I didn't say I was giving money to beggars at all I was just making a glib point. Your point was retailers are moving away from cashless I disagree and provided examples of that opinion. Also my experience of what you are saying with cash machines. Not seeing that when I am in the city centre most days.

• Like 1