Parents Want A Ban On Children In Nappies Starting School.

As 90% say pupils should be toilet trained, survey finds

A backlash is growing against the increasing number of parents who are sending their children to primary school in nappies.

Nine in ten people believe children should not be allowed to start school until they are toilet-trained, a survey by early years charity Kindred² shows.

While experts say that most children are capable of learning how to use the toilet by the age of three – unless they have special educational needs – recent research has shown that 25 per cent of them are arriving at their first class, reception, without this basic skill.

The poll of 1,500 adults found that 89 per cent felt children should not be allowed into class until they have learned how to use the toilet.

Education watchdog Ofsted has highlighted the importance of basic skills in helping children to feel ready for school, including using the toilet, putting on shoes and holding a pen.

My 1st question is what kind of parent sends their child to school in a nappy?

Aside from special or medical needs children there Is no excuse for it. It's a schools job to educate, not change nappies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13234337/Parents-ban-children-nappies-starting-school.html

• Like 1

In general I agree.

However I was listening to phone in on LBC with Iain Dale about a month ago and it really gave me pause for thought.

I wished I'd have bookmarked it as it really made me think it's not as black and white as I first thought. Though I can't remember the content of the calls...! Just that they were really informative.

It might still be available on YouTube. 

• Like 1

If you're sending your kids to school wearing nappies, either you're a terrible parent, or your kid has a medical issue 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

A school I once worked at had to give lessons in using cutlery, as the children had grown up eating with just their fingers.

• Sad 1

Sorry but you have to blame the parents, our two children were out of nappies at seven months old apart from at night when they wore one for another month, it's not hard to train children they are not stupid, at three months old we held ours on a potty making the usual sounds and they got the idea.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

A school I once worked at had to give lessons in using cutlery, as the children had grown up eating with just their fingers.

TBF we've taught my youngest how to eat with cutlery and he still ditches them in favour of fingers for some meals. 

Some children are slow developers and my second child was late getting out of nappies and now he is 12 he has been diagnosed with some special needs so no I don’t agree with this.

We are all different and I don’t think it is a sign of lazy parenting…

11 hours ago, vmam said:

Sorry but you have to blame the parents, our two children were out of nappies at seven months old apart from at night when they wore one for another month, it's not hard to train children they are not stupid, at three months old we held ours on a potty making the usual sounds and they got the idea.

Sounds like you’re the perfect family .