Taking Your Practical Driving Test.

I just found out today from my daughter that a learner driver taking their test is allowed 15 minor faults.

I was staggered. 15 faults?

FIFTEEN FAULTS?????

Has it always been this way?

Is it me or is 15 faults in a half hour test waaaaaaaay too many?

Your thoughts?

I've just Googled it and yes that's right  .............  up to 15 minor faults allowed,  although if you commit the same minor fault 3 times that will be classed as a major fault and a fail.     Even allowing for nerves it does seem an excessive amount.

Is this 15 faults only for females ?

Was 3 faults, no matter how minor - around the mid to late 70's?. I think you could request a retest on a part if you asked the tester (knowing you made a mistake)

As I said, a long time ago. So probably wrong! ;) 

15 mistakes does explain some of the horrendous driving I see on the roads though. I consider myself, or I'm considered a boring driver now. I stick to speed  limits, indicate and give way...you know, the normal stuff. Or is it called 'The right way'?

• Like 2

During my practical driving test I came to a sign that said “ No Left Turn Here” so naturally I did not put my indicator out to turn right. I passed my test but the pass paper noted “ Did not put indicator out to turn right”

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I just found out today from my daughter that a learner driver taking their test is allowed 15 minor faults.

I was staggered. 15 faults?

FIFTEEN FAULTS?????

Has it always been this way?

Is it me or is 15 faults in a half hour test waaaaaaaay too many?

Your thoughts?

It's been like that since at least the late 90s when I did mine. The test was longer than half an hour though, of that I am sure. 

When I took my test it was longer than half an hour.  In the mid 80s there was no  theory test just a couple of questions from the examiner.

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's been like that since at least the late 90s when I did mine. The test was longer than half an hour though, of that I am sure. 

My bold

Really? That's Insane. Did you pass 1st time HeHasRisen?

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Really? That's Insane. Did you pass 1st time HeHasRisen?

Yes. 

Think you are overreacting a bit tbh, from memory you got a minor for really trivial things. It's hardly get one minor for running a dog over. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes. 

Think you are overreacting a bit tbh, from memory you got a minor for really trivial things. It's hardly get one minor for running a dog over. 

Being very surprised that you're allowed 15 faults on your driving is over reacting? 

You're just too cool and laid back. That's your problem 😁

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes. 

Indeed..

The number of minors hasn't changed since the 90s and the test is an hour. 

The changes to the tests include hazard perception and identifying essential parts under the bonnet. 

The test isn't an hour. Mine lasted just over 30 minutes. 

I passed by the way. 

From google 

The practical driving test includes an eyesight check, safety questions and about 40 minutes of driving which involves a section of independent driving. You can prepare yourself by reading the information below.

About the practical test for cars | nidirect https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/about-practical-test-cars