Bricked Up House 481 Queen's Road

If you go down Alderson Road to Queens Road, opposite the junction is 481 Queens Road which has had all its windows and door breeze blocked up. It's been like this for as long as I remember. The houses either side look normal and like they're in use, but I've always wondered what the story is with 481. Has it been bricked up to stop it falling down, or is it a MURDER HOUSE that no-one will live in because of all the murders? Can anyone solve the mystery?

Ah, cheers. Might do a land registry search later to confirm the owner.

• Like 1

I often walk past this house and have wondered what the story is. The peeling paint on the upstairs window frames is a shade of green that says 1940s to me.

Looks to me as though the owners are attempting to keep low life’s out, is it the same at the back? I’ve seen properties where the owners appear to have lost interest before, there’s probably a reason for this.

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Looks to me as though the owners are attempting to keep low life’s out, is it the same at the back? I’ve seen properties where the owners appear to have lost interest before, there’s probably a reason for this.

As stated in the thread linked above, it seems to be owned by the builders merchants behind. They attempted to buy up all the terrace to create a bigger entrance, but not everyone sold and an entrance was created at the end of the terrace.

I wonder if the new council tax rules on vacant  properties will have an effect.

No mystery what so ever.

The owners bricked the windows up them selves,

got fed up with headlamps beaming into their front room, after the stupid diverting of traffic off Shoreham St and Bramall Lane, down Alderson Road into the then new 'contraflow' on Queens Rd 🤬

Kidding, but, as good as an explanation as any :blush:.

1972 Kelly's Franchetti Leonard.

Can't remember, but we did knew a couple who frequented the Earl of Arundel (happy daze and a great pint of Wards :blush:)  who either lived there or next door.

She worked at Monks if memory serves me right :huh: 

(The 'Monks' wanting to buy those houses does ring a bell).

There was a murder just around the corner on Myrtle Rd late 70's early 80's? 

I'm sticking to the intrusive Headlamps theory 😀. 

Keep safe 8)

It looks like the house next door has appropriated the garden for 481, doesn't seem to be a fence down the middle

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

If you go down Alderson Road to Queens Road, opposite the junction is 481 Queens Road which has had all its windows and door breeze blocked up. It's been like this for as long as I remember. The houses either side look normal and like they're in use, but I've always wondered what the story is with 481. Has it been bricked up to stop it falling down, or is it a MURDER HOUSE that no-one will live in because of all the murders? Can anyone solve the mystery?

Didn't that whole row of houses used to be bricked up years ago?  I think they are, or were owned by a builders merchant nearby.

1 minute ago, Draggletail said:

Didn't that whole row of houses used to be bricked up years ago?  I think they are, or were owned by a builders merchant nearby.

Good point - and yes they were - as said above, the builders merchants behind had ideas, which never came to fuition, but why that one property has never been reoccupied is a mystery.

• Like 1

The builder has probably done this, and possibly removed some internal walls as well, to render the house uninhabitable which can de-classify it from council tax.