Sheffield School Dinners Cook Book

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

Thanks

AB

6 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

Thanks

AB

Good idea for a cookbook - would sell well locally.

Just had a quick look for you on a PDF download site I used to use. No results. Good luck with this! 

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

13 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

Thanks

AB

Perhaps a portion of spotted dick 🤔 

1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

Perhaps a portion of spotted dick 🤔 

Perhaps a little earlier - Cheese flan, before it went all posh & became quiche :huh:.

Came in a big alloy tray, sectioned into squares, each with a slice of tomato & cooked to perfection 😋.

Skool Meals Ruled :thumbsup:

7, cooked to perfection  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

Thanks

AB

'Treat the kids' to 'Cheese croquettes', 'chocolate pinwheels' :huh:.

The 80's sound bloody horrible.

60'S / 70'S Proper meals, where 'Ladle's' ruled, one for dishing out 'Thick Gravy' t'other 'Semolina frogs eggs' or thick yellow 'Custard'.  

First few in line for the custard, got the 'Skin' 😋

Happy Daze 

Keep safe & eat well 8)

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Perhaps a little earlier - Cheese flan, before it went all posh & became quiche :huh:.

Came in a big alloy tray, sectioned into squares, each with a slice of tomato & cooked to perfection 😋.

7, cooked to perfection  

Sounds absolutely lovely pal👍

18 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

7, cooked to perfection  

My mrs’ favourite as a kid 

She made it for our tea one night not long backs. 

I’ve used this for a cheese flan recipe

http://www.schoolrecipes.co.uk/index.php/school-dinner-recipes.html

On 24/02/2024 at 16:36, Mister M said:

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

I'm in that book! 😮

I have recipes and costings for Sheffield school meals, circa 1950/ 1960 era.  Also wages of some kitchen staff of the same time, and some dating back to the  late 1940's.

I will look them out and put them on this post. I remember going in to the kitchen of Fox Hill school canteen.