Jump to content

Sheffield School Dinners Cook Book

Recommended Posts

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

 

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

 

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

 

Thanks


AB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

 

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

 

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

 

Thanks


AB

Good idea for a cookbook - would sell well locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a quick look for you on a PDF download site I used to use. No results. Good luck with this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

 

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

 

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

 

Thanks


AB

Perhaps a portion of spotted dick ūü§Ē¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

Perhaps a portion of spotted dick ūü§Ē¬†

Perhaps a little earlier - Cheese flan, before it went all posh & became quiche :huh:.

Came in a big alloy tray, sectioned into squares, each with a slice of tomato & cooked to perfection¬†ūüėč.

 

Skool Meals Ruled :thumbsup:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7, cooked to perfection  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lionel Richtea said:

For years I've heard rumours of this exisiting with recipes for cheese croquettes, chocolate pinwheels and the rest.

 

I've had a search on here (and Google) and can't find anything - perhaps my search skills leave something to be desired.

 

Anyone able to help out? Would love to treat the kids to the experience of an 80s school dinner!

 

Thanks


AB

'Treat the kids' to 'Cheese croquettes', 'chocolate pinwheels' :huh:.

The 80's sound bloody horrible.

60'S / 70'S Proper meals, where 'Ladle's' ruled, one for dishing out 'Thick Gravy' t'other 'Semolina frogs eggs' or thick yellow 'Custard'.  

First few in line for the custard, got the 'Skin'¬†ūüėč

 

Happy Daze 

Keep safe & eat well 8)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Perhaps a little earlier - Cheese flan, before it went all posh & became quiche :huh:.

Came in a big alloy tray, sectioned into squares, each with a slice of tomato & cooked to perfection¬†ūüėč.

 

Skool Meals Ruled :thumbsup:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7, cooked to perfection  

Sounds absolutely lovely palūüĎć

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Perhaps a little earlier - Cheese flan, before it went all posh & became quiche :huh:.

Came in a big alloy tray, sectioned into squares, each with a slice of tomato & cooked to perfection¬†ūüėč.

 

Skool Meals Ruled :thumbsup:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7, cooked to perfection  

My mrs’ favourite as a kid 
 

She made it for our tea one night not long backs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used this for a cheese flan recipe

http://www.schoolrecipes.co.uk/index.php/school-dinner-recipes.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2024 at 16:36, Mister M said:

About 10 - 15 years ago there was a Sheffield cookbook that was heavily advertised in the city centre, I think I first saw it for sale in the Winter Garden's Museum. 

Had a quick look online - it's not this is it?

The Sheffield Cook Book By Adelle Draper | Used | 9780992898106 | World of Books (wob.com)

I'm in that book!¬†ūüėģ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recipes and costings for Sheffield school meals, circa 1950/ 1960 era.  Also wages of some kitchen staff of the same time, and some dating back to the  late 1940's.

I will look them out and put them on this post. I remember going in to the kitchen of Fox Hill school canteen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.