'Ghost Signs' In Sheffield

A ‘Ghost Sign’ is an old, faded sign or advert usually found on the side of buildings and usually originally painted and faded.

There are quite a few examples in Sheffield, and surprisingly, Ghost Signs have quite a following of people looking out for them, or documenting them. 

Here are a few (some recent, some now gone) - have you seen any whilst out and about?

spacer.pngspacer.png

(From: https://retiredmartin.com/2021/02/12/ghost-signs-real-beer/)

Wilson Peck Ghost Sign, Sheffield The Pearl Works, Sheffield

spacer.png

Sheffield ghost sign

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing!

5 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I saw this one

IMG_6679.jpeg

I know you joke, but the Presto Stand signage at Hillsborough would actually count as a 'Ghost Sign':

5a05e95d05a75_SheffieldWednesdayWestStandPresto.jpg.b23bc0e3868856fa3b3e0c128549ee09.thumb.jpg.61948f969fe5354ef02bd64a0f9168aa.jpg

The largest Ghost Sign in the region perhaps?

• Like 3

There's also this faded Ground Regulations sign at Hillsborough, in the away end:

a09255ae19966c85bdd1bb90.jpg.ff8af157f92eff922d0c4af7cda9a7e5.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting aside to this, apparently there is a growing habit of developers adding 'false' ghost signs to some new developments, where they have refurbished old warehouse/brick buildings, to add a touch of character I suppose.

I don't think this is something that's ever happened in Sheffield, yet, but I think I've seen an example in Birmingham.

14 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Interesting aside to this, apparently there is a growing habit of developers adding 'false' ghost signs to some new developments, where they have refurbished old warehouse/brick buildings, to add a touch of character I suppose.

I don't think this is something that's ever happened in Sheffield, yet, but I think I've seen an example in Birmingham.

Similarly, several years ago Jack Daniels did an advertising campaign of putting a purposefully faded sign on a building (usually a pub) to look like a ghost sign.

They did this in Sheffield, on the back of the Frog & Parrot (now covered over by an even larger, more modern Guinness advert).

spacer.png

From: https://ghostsigns.co.uk/2009/04/jack-daniels-update/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Wallace* said:

I saw this one

IMG_6679.jpeg

Need to get an exorcist to rid the city of that ghoul. 

I like the faded ones at the University tram stop that show the old University logo, from 1994 I presume. 

The Castle House how has its old signage exposed. It looks very early 1990s in red and white. 

Castleton bus station used to have an old SYT branded notice asking drivers to switch off their engines. This was there until atleast 2014. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I like the faded ones at the University tram stop that show the old University logo, from 1994 I presume. 

The Castle House how has its old signage exposed. It looks very early 1990s in red and white. 

Castleton bus station used to have an old SYT branded notice asking drivers to switch off their engines. This was there until atleast 2014. 

Do you mean the University shields at the tram stop? They are cool!

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.6f4ec3abc5b08a9f9e3a371157eb9c46.jpeg

4 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Do you mean the University shields at the tram stop? They are cool!

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.6f4ec3abc5b08a9f9e3a371157eb9c46.jpeg

I do indeed!