I've used Martin Kemp on Abbeydale Road for years and found them totally professional and non pushy. Maybe not as cheap as the heavily advertised national companies, but like anything you usually get what you pay for.

Every time I go to an Opticians I always end up paying too much, they must see me coming.  :hihi:

• Haha 1

The downside to a small independent opticians is they tend to be small stores with less choice of frames. Though the Martin Kemp on Herries road looks a decent size store.

4 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

See that is odd, I've used the Specsavers at St James retail park the last few times I've needed tests and there's never been any "hard sell"

They did the tests and then left me to look around until I had picked out some frames I liked.

On the independant opticians side, I'm wary of those now after they tried to rip off my elderly, disabled mother-in-law and charge her a fortune for fames she didn't need or want.

Of course not every independent optician is good.  That’s why you need to do some research online and ask around. I left Daybell & Choo when there was a change of staff and I found the new optician very pushy, had a smarmy manner and  gave misleading advice (which my current optician agreed was not good advice).

I use EyeEye on John Street. You get a thorough eye test, which lasts over an hour and costs £40-00. 

There are no hidden charges as the prices are advertised on the counter.

In the past I've used Boots and Specsavers and it seems you're on a production line and you're lucky if you get 15mins for the eye test.

It took 6wks at Boots to try and get my specs right, in the end I got my money back and they got a 1 star review on their website.

£40-00 might sound expensive for an eye test...remember you've on got 1 pair of eyes.

14 hours ago, melv said:

I use EyeEye on John Street. You get a thorough eye test, which lasts over an hour and costs £40-00. 

There are no hidden charges as the prices are advertised on the counter.

In the past I've used Boots and Specsavers and it seems you're on a production line and you're lucky if you get 15mins for the eye test.

It took 6wks at Boots to try and get my specs right, in the end I got my money back and they got a 1 star review on their website.

£40-00 might sound expensive for an eye test...remember you've on got 1 pair of eyes.

I wouldn’t fall for a cheap eye test any more than I would for cheap MOT or service for my car.  They are businesses to make money at the end of the day.  Large chains can offer economies of scale but they also have lots of clever marketing and sales techniques to get you to spend money.  

On 08/02/2024 at 08:37, Pyrotequila said:

See that is odd, I've used the Specsavers at St James retail park the last few times I've needed tests and there's never been any "hard sell"

They did the tests and then left me to look around until I had picked out some frames I liked.

On the independant opticians side, I'm wary of those now after they tried to rip off my elderly, disabled mother-in-law and charge her a fortune for fames she didn't need or want.

It was Pinstone Street I used.

Guest busdriver1

For the last few tests I have used various Asda's and found them to be very good, No hard sell and good fitting glasses. I did once try online from an asda prescription but never again.

On 08/02/2024 at 08:37, Pyrotequila said:

I use that specsavers too and no hard sell from them either but each specsavers is run as a franchise.

• Like 1

My eyesight is deteriorating lately, so thank you I've found this thread useful and think I will make an appointment for an eye test at Asda which has been mentioned, as the one at Chapeltown is quite near where I live.and is easier to get to then then the ones in the City centre.