Mayor Takes Step Towards Reopening Doncaster Sheffield Airport

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, has announced that the region will take a major step toward re-opening Doncaster-Sheffield Airport (DSA) and allow for a 10-year plan to drive economic growth, subject to the decision of the Mayoral Combined Authority Board on 13 February 2024.

Fifteen months since DSA was closed by owners Peel Group, the Mayor, City of Doncaster Council and the Mayoral Combined Authority (MCA) have been working tirelessly in the interests of the public and businesses in South Yorkshire to find a way to re-open it that is legally and financially sound and protects the taxpayer.

Last summer, the MCA awarded City of Doncaster Council £3.1 million to prepare an Outline Business Case to take control of the airport through a leasing arrangement, re-establish operations under a new business model, and use the asset as an anchor for growth at the wider Gateway East site to support economic regeneration and benefits to the city and region as a whole.

The Outline Business Case, published today, states that re-opening the airport provides the best opportunity to secure economic growth and well-being not just in Doncaster but will have wider benefits for South Yorkshire as a whole. 

More: https://southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/news/article/2b1a1a33-b81d-421b-a9d1-d9e86547d585

Just now, geared said:

If a private company with experience running airports can't make Doncaster Airport work, what hope does anyone give the local councils and mayor??

Good question - and the answer is 'Sweet Fanny Adams'.

• Like 1

The ship has sailed, other big airlines are happily positioned at other local airports. 

The only reason people loved the airport was because it was quiet, which is lovely but a quiet airport doth butter no parsnips. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2

Did not see anything about passenger demand or airlines wishing to use the airport. All very well but within easy reach for most of the catchment area is Leeds , East Midlands and Manchester will there be enough interest from airlines to make it viable. Both Manchester and East Midlands have decent rail connections but I don’t think there was even a bus service from Sheffield .

perhaos as a starting point would be a thorough and honest assessment of why the airport failed in the first place. 

who would manage and  run the airport for the council? Not the SYPTE I would hope 

1 minute ago, BigAl1 said:

Did not see anything about passenger demand or airlines wishing to use the airport. All very well but within easy reach for most of the catchment area is Leeds , East Midlands and Manchester will there be enough interest from airlines to make it viable. Both Manchester and East Midlands have decent rail connections but I don’t think there was even a bus service from Sheffield .

perhaos as a starting point would be a thorough and honest assessment of why the airport failed in the first place. 

who would manage and  run the airport for the council? Not the SYPTE I would hope 

That quango no longer exists, it is subsumed into the SYMCA.

Guest busdriver1

Bang, up goes the council tax. 

I love the often quoted example of Tees valley airport, They have halved the loses - Well done. Who pays the losses? You've guessed it the council with our money.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Not read the link - but do they really think they can justify it? Will have read later and see if they can convince me.

They will justify it by telling us all the good it will do for the area whilst absent mindedly not telling us what the cost would be.

Just now, busdriver1 said:

They will justify it by telling us all the good it will do for the area whilst absent mindedly not telling us what the cost would be.

Having read the load of waffle, I agree.