Memories Of Tj Hughes

Welcome. This thread is for memories of TJ Hughes. What are yours? Mine are of the Arundel Gate branch. I notably remember the secretary who used to constantly call over the public address system "Mr Vickers, telephone call 1045", in a well spoken, slightly nasally and melodious manner. I never heard her at the Moor branch, I wonder what happened to her. 

The store itself, I remember the ground floor (AG entrance) was mainly men's toiletries with some seasonal opportunistic items. The 1st floor was ladies' wearing and soft homeware, bath towels etc. There was also a slightly dingy cafe that faced on to High Street and hung over the pavement. The top floor was garden wear, always a gazebo pitched on display, men's clothing and electrical goods. The toilets were also there but latterly required a code to access. I can still remember the code, it was 12589. The top floor cafe was there. It had green and cream striped wall paper, gold lanterns on the wall and wicker seating. It was adorned by fragile looking single glazed railings that were high enough to go above my head as a kid. I remember all the little stainless steel milk jugs and those ordering food were given an order number flag which was taken away upon receipt. It always had a strong smell of toasted teacakes and faux leather upholstery that cars have over the dashboard. I was mesmerised by the view  from there as a child, I loved looking out on to High Street. High street and Castle Square used to be bustling back then, with respectable people, not druggies and scoundrels. TJ's was not the same when they moved it to The Moor. It lost its charm and became a rather dull place. 

What can you remember?

• Like 1

I remember it as Walsh’s, Rackhams and House of Fraser.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I simply remember it as Walsh’s, the poshest shop in town with a delicatessen which sold weird and wonderful foods.

echo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Rackhams and house of Frazer for me also  - I’d forgotten it was a tj Hughes.

• Like 2

Well while we’re at it, Pauldens became Debenhams, Cockaynes became Schofields and Cole Brothers became John Lewis.

Any more guys?

Whatever happened to Wilson and Gumperts in Fitzalan Square?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP Nuts 2 said:

Whatever happened to Wilson and Gumperts in Fitzalan Square?

It was part of Redgates,  probably closed at the same time. 

• Like 1

Irene you must have a photo graphic memory. You have jogged my memory about Tjs. 

I remember the top floor restaurant and the gold lanterns also having to ask for the code to use the toilet from someone who worked there. Use to take my mother on the odd occasion to the top floor restaurant while I use to browse round the shop. She would sit in the restaurant waiting for me, drinking her tea and eating her toasted tea cake. 

There was a cosmetics section below the cafe on the first floor selling wholesale clearance make up and perfumes. Also enjoyed looking at the electrical gadgets on the electrical department, bought a few things from those departments.

• Like 1