School Trips

10 hours ago, johnpm said:

I suspect the Outward Bound style course you refer to was to Hollowford at Castleton which was a joint venture between Sheffield Industrial Mission, Education  Authority  & Industry I think. I went there for a week in  1961 being sent by English Steel Corp. The Warden was Rev Keith Pound a guitar playing vicar who went on to be Chaplain General to the Prison Service & an honorary Chaplain  to the Queen. I remember going climbing on Stanage Edge the climb being Tango Crack.  I also remember nearly being blown off Mam Tor in a gust of wind when I was wearing a cycling cape. Thankfully someone grabbed me & pulled me back . I never wore a cycling cape for walking again!!

Good evening johnpm, I too attended Hollowford in 1966 as did my wife in 1965.

Keith Pound I am still in contact with.

My wife and I went on to be group leaders in 1970

One particular day that week could have had tragic consequences.

We had a trip down a pothole at Eyam. One very overweight lad hadn't the strength to get out of the entrance to the pothole.

A lot of heaving and pushing by group members saved the day

His name was Dave Cotton, wonder if he is a Forum member.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to London in the 60s with Burngreave high school cost was £12 paid in shrapnel and shillings each week we payed it of, ,stayed somewhere in Hide park in a hotel house loved it we went to Chessington zoo also science museum and the black and white minstrel show worth every penny 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 22:54, Runningman said:

Good evening johnpm, I too attended Hollowford in 1966 as did my wife in 1965.

Keith Pound I am still in contact with.

My wife and I went on to be group leaders in 1970

One particular day that week could have had tragic consequences.

We had a trip down a pothole at Eyam. One very overweight lad hadn't the strength to get out of the entrance to the pothole.

A lot of heaving and pushing by group members saved the day

His name was Dave Cotton, wonder if he is a Forum member.

Hi Runningman, Keith Pound must be getting on now. Presumably he has retired?

Cheers, John

On 01/02/2024 at 09:26, Runningman said:

Good morning johnpm. I reckon Keith must be in his late 80's. Retired and living in Hastings.

The sort of bloke you need to meet on your way through life.

Hi Runningman, Very true !

Edited by johnpm
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/02/2024 at 13:45, johnpm said:

Hi Runningman, Very true !

I went to Myers Grove 59 to 63.Went to Blankenberge in Belgium. Stay a night in London then on to ferry in Dover.In Belgium  we had some trips.Can,t remember where to.What sticks in my mind most is going out one night and about 7 or 8 of us ended up in a bar.No age limit there so we ordered local beer,all except  1 who ordered a coke when the waiter came he asked who wanted the coke.The culprit  held his hand up and the waiter proceeded  to give the lad his coke and then produced  a child's dummy from his pocket and give it to the lad .Obviously we were all infits of laughter and the lad went bright red.Happy days.

I went on my first school trip when at Marlcliffe Primary School early 60's, a day trip by train to London where the highlight was a visit to the Houses of Parliamant and saw both chambers Lords and Commons. My abiding memory was that they seemed very small (even to an 11 year old). Also got to sit on the Woolsack in the House of Lords which these days would no doubt get me thrown out!

A few ye

Sorry got cut off in full flow there...

A few years later I went on another school trip with King Edwards skiing in Austria - Mayrhofen where we had a great time despite a never ending train journey there and back and a couple of broken legs in the group. Skis and boots were not as "high tech" in those days - late 60's as they are these days! Also my first experience of underage drinking which I managed without making a fool of myself.

Happy days

• 2 weeks later...