Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About gene

  • Rank
    Registered User

Personal Information

  • Location
  • Interests
    local/social/family history
  • Occupation

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Not sure how many poppy sellers we will see this year but you can buy online from the British legion poppy shop. I have bought a larger one to put in my window https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/?seg=XPBPPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpN7fh4jI7AIVxuR3Ch2TfgV1EAAYAiAAEgKBwfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Also Xmas cards too you can buy via charities' websites - https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/leukaemia-care-charity-christmas-cards https://www.bluebellwood.org/pages/shop/department/southyorksscenes?dept=southyorksscenes&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5WU5ojI7AIVieh3Ch1w5wumEAAYBCAAEgJEwPD_BwE Hope no one minds me posting this but all charities are struggling.
  2. My son was tested Mon and didn't his results until Sat. Was told it was taking 5 days now.
  3. That is good to know - we all need our friends at this difficult time. Keep safe.
  4. Try writing to the sheffield Star - https://www.thestar.co.uk/ https://www.thestar.co.uk/contact-us
  5. A search brings this up https://www.google.com/search?q=Sheffield+House+Churches&oq=Sheffield+House+Churches&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j0j69i64l3.399j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  6. Then what do you do? Let them free again?
  7. https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s43288&pos=2&action=zoom&id=126307 Photo of Beckford lane
  8. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/a30563792/what-is-jackfruit/ It occasionally has a savoury whiff, but this doesn’t affect the flavour. Young, unripe green jackfruit – usually found in tins - isn’t sweet and has a neutral taste (if you’ve ever eaten a tinned artichoke heart straight from the can, it’s a bit like that). This version is best cooked into a savoury recipe with plenty of spices and seasoning to pep it up.
  9. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/local-area-history/Firshill.pdf History of the school/area here Firs Hill Junior School, Firs Hill Schools 1893 - 1993: A Hundred years in the life of a school campus (Sheffield Hallam University, 1993) (Sheffield Local Studies Library: 372.94274 S)
  10. Yes you can still buy carbolic soap, look online and I love the smell too - hospitals used to smell clean too using this and dettol etc now there isn't really any smell.
  11. I too remember it from the 1950s onwards until it moved to the old Co-op at Firth Park. I remember some of the staff too having taken my children there in the 1960/70s. Lovely old place and far better than its modern day version .
  12. I had recent problems the last two years or so when I had blood tests that showed I was not absorbing vitamins including Vit D even though my diet was good. It was actually down to stomach problems and it was only after I became severely ill, losing weight etc. and the diagnosis was made, treatment was commenced that my health returned to what it was before.
  13. I once told my grandson w e used to do that and I got a - you are crazy - look and a derogatory 'what did you do that for?' I weakly replied 'well it was something to do, not many cars were around and some number plates were funny, like one that went past regularly that spelled BRA. He was not impressed.
  14. 1950s we collected all sorts didn't we? Postage stamps, film star photos in bubble gum packets. I had a scrapbook too that I pasted photos in from interest using flour and water paste. Autograph books with silly things in. Marbles.
  15. I would definitely want to know where I came from. Having had a childhood with natural parents who at times made me feel unwanted/unloved, researching my family history made me feel as if I really did belong somewhere.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.