3 minutes ago, Meltman said:

A lot of small car parks,such as at a pub for example, have a sign indicating 'private property ' cars parked at own risk. This may, or not be a way round the off road conditions. 

Good point. I am pretty sure Meadowhall have similar signs though, you can imagine the claims they'd get otherwise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am not defending uninsured vehicles or ones with no MOT but as Meadowhall is private property, the vehicle is technically not on the public roads, so I don't see how they can prove an offence has been committed.

If somewhere is open to the public. It’s classed as public during working hours and private when it’s shut.       It’s hard to explain on here how it works though. 

• Like 1

They'd also have a devil of a job explaining how their car got there in the first place, considering Meadowhall has pretty decent CCTV coverage it wouldn't be too hard to demonstrate them driving in.

Lets be honest, the car didn't arrive on a low loader it was absolutely driven there illegally.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

If somewhere is open to the public. It’s classed as public during working hours and private when it’s shut.       It’s hard to explain on here how it works though. 

It's hard to explain to SYP too apparently as they seem to think that supermarket car parks are 100% private. 

They said this to my sister when someone hit her car and drove off. (dashcam and witnesses who provided reg.)  Their words were that it was a private car park and all they can do is get her the name of his insurance company. 

Unfortunately for the officer I was present and know better and told him that it's his duty to deal with it, that it's public access and RTA applies and he should record and pursue a charge of leaving the scene or I would like to speak to his Sergeant.  The offender was fined. 

• Like 3

My car was hit in Sainburys car park in Crystal peaks. The person who damaged my car was caught on camera the police had his reg and the camera showed hm getting out of his car to check if his car was damaged then driving off. The police wrote him a letter and he said he couldn't remember doing the damage because he suffered with memory loss. They didn't charge him. I was left with over £1,000 worth of damage.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fred G said:

My car was hit in Sainburys car park in Crystal peaks. The person who damaged my car was caught on camera the police had his reg and the camera showed hm getting out of his car to check if his car was damaged then driving off. The police wrote him a letter and he said he couldn't remember doing the damage because he suffered with memory loss. They didn't charge him. I was left with over £1,000 worth of damage.

If the police told me that was his excuse then I'd be demand revoke licence as that level of memory loss would mean he's unfit to drive and hasn't informed the DVSA. 

I'd also ask for a copy of the case file and submit it to DVSA myself. 

Edited by Resident
  • Like 3

I didn't know that I could ask for the case file. I did ask why they wasn't going to charge him they said they couldn't argue with the doctors.  My family have been let down before with the police in Sheffield.  I don't have any faith in them. Fred.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 12:24, Fred G said:

I don't have any faith in them

It is impossible to have faith in an organisation which puts shutters up at its main interface with the public as SYP have done at all their divisional offices. I can't count the huge number of offences I have seen being committed on Chesterfield Road right outside the police station which says PRIVATE NO PUBLIC ADMISSION.  Their motto seems to be See Nowt, Say Nowt, Do Nowt. And as for the Very Reverend Doctor Crime Commissioner, he must now be certain of his knighthood.......job done, in a city where stabbings, shootings, and using a car as a weapon is an everyday event. 

They must be having a crackdown. Seen a couple clamped on Hackenthorpe.

There have lbeen loads clamped in Norton Lees , Meersbrook and Heeley. All good stuff.

• Like 1