Flue In Sheffield

11 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

We predicted vaccine passports, push towards 15 minute cities, cashless society, digital dependency. 

We didn't have vaccine passports, they only talked about it.

We didn't have 15 minute cities,  they only talked about it.

We don't have a cashless society,  cash use is officially on the rise.

Only those who want a digital dependency,  have got one.  I don't even have a smart phone and don't want one..

It seems your predictions were a bit hasty and you keep jumping too soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

What dictionary? please also provide the revision and publish date, and/or ISBN if it has one..

Good grief!  Am I being asked to present evidence for trial by the Sheffield Forum🤣

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Good grief!  Am I being asked to present evidence for trial by the Sheffield Forum🤣

Not at all, I am interested from a historical context, at which point that version of the spelling may have disappeared/dropped off the view etc.. and out of sheer curiosity :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh dear. If only one of you had Googled it.. 

Flu (spelled originally as flue, as seen above) excises the second syllable of the word. The French, on the other hand, referred to influenza as grippe, from that language’s word for “seizure.” Use of grippe in English tends to be considered old-fashioned nowadays but survives in literature from the beginning of the 20th century:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/wordplay/influenza-flu-word-history-origin#:~:text=Flu (spelled originally as flue,second syllable of the word.

Oh, @Ghozer did.

On page 1 🤣

Oh dear. If only I had read the whole thread 😪 🤣

Edited by The_DADDY

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

No.   You are in fact correct in a way because spellings of various words have always changed throughout our history.

It's just that you used the old Flue in a modern time when people were used to a different spelling and would check it against a modern dictionary.

The further you go back in time,  the more variable English language spellings become. and already,  Americanisation is causing some to use the wrong spelling in modern speak.

• Like 1

I'm off to the shoppe this morning. Ye olde shoppe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 03/01/2024 at 09:45, Organgrinder said:

Flu, short for influenza, refers to a contagious viral infection involving respiratory inflammation and fever. The word is also used more generally for a range of illnesses involving similar symptoms.

A flue is a pipe, duct, or tube through which exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, or boiler exit a building. There’s also a type of fishing net called a flue.

Flue is an old word. Its etymology is mysterious, but its earliest known instances in English are from nearly five centuries ago.1 Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century.2

I’d abbreviate it to Enza so there can be no confusion.

Hang on a minute, that’s also a girl’s name of German origin and also a river in Northern Italy.

Oh well, I tried!😀

echo.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, echo beach said:

I’d abbreviate it to Enza so there can be no confusion.

Hang on a minute, that’s also a girl’s name of German origin and also a river in Northern Italy.

Oh well, I tried!😀

echo.

Yes,  It's laughable.

One thing for sure is that, if it's possible to make a mess of anything,  the human race will soon find it.

• Like 2

It’s in the Imperial Dictionary 

• Haha 1

Thou shalt not use archaic language (especially the King James Bible).

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 08:02, HeHasRisen said:

I'm off to the shoppe this morning. Ye olde shoppe. 

The way to make a word sound like an old word is to add an e to the end!

For example  flu = flue....oh, hang on a minute. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Meltman said:

The way to make a word sound like an old word is to add an e to the end!

For example  flu = flue....oh, hang on a minute. 

I believe the additional e didn’t change the pronunciation though.  

• Like 1