Flue In Sheffield

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

flue noun: a common disease that is caused by a virus and that causes fever, weakness, body aches, and breathing problems : influenza

Does the fact that various people including myself are taking the p*ss out of you indicate you may actually be using the less accepted spelling of the word?

Just a thought. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

flue noun: a common disease that is caused by a virus and that causes fever, weakness, body aches, and breathing problems : influenza

Google Search for "flue noun: a common disease":

"Did you mean: "flu noun: a common disease"

No results found for "flue noun: a common disease"."

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Does the fact that various people including myself are taking the p*ss out of you indicate you may actually be using the less accepted spelling of the word?

Just a thought. 

It’s a less common spelling but correct nonetheless.  

10 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Google Search for "flue noun: a common disease":

"Did you mean: "flu noun: a common disease"

No results found for "flue noun: a common disease"."

A definition of flue/flu/influenza/‘flu is an acute, highly contagious, respiratory disease caused by any of three orthomyxoviruses.

26 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Even that link acknowledges that  ‘Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century’.  I agree that flu is the more common, standard spelling but flue is still an alternative spelling.

10 hours ago, Mister M said:

I had a flu vaccination down at Boots on the Moor.

I think I had to pay about £15:00, as I'm not in one of the free categories, but it's well worth it.

But don't you now have to have vaccinations for much more after being exposed the delights of the Moor?

• Like 1

I also had a flu jab last year. Also a Covid one. These jabs won’t stop you getting these viruses but if you do get them the virus won’t be as bad as if you hadn’t had them.

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

Even that link acknowledges that  ‘Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century’.  I agree that flu is the more common, standard spelling but flue is still an alternative spelling.

Ah, so you're a time traveller?

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

Flu, short for influenza, refers to a contagious viral infection involving respiratory inflammation and fever. The word is also used more generally for a range of illnesses involving similar symptoms.

A flue is a pipe, duct, or tube through which exhaust gases from a fireplace, furnace, or boiler exit a building. There’s also a type of fishing net called a flue.

Flue is an old word. Its etymology is mysterious, but its earliest known instances in English are from nearly five centuries ago.1 Flu was sometimes spelled flue when it first emerged in the early 19th century (a century or so after influenza), but flu has now been the standard for over a century.2

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I also had a flu jab last year. Also a Covid one. These jabs won’t stop you getting these viruses but if you do get them the virus won’t be as bad as if you hadn’t had them.

Yes, I think it’s definitely worthwhile.  I’m not sure if  the coronavirus vaccines are available privately yet but did hear something about this being introduced soon.

14 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Ah, so you're a time traveller?

It’s a less common spelling but still correct nonetheless according to a (paper) dictionary I own.

Heard this morning from a friend that her husband is down with flu(e) and she says he's had the jab.